NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 20 years I have been fishing with a good friend of mine as part of his full time crew. Between work and kids my time has been limited. Most of his other crew are getting older and most times he has a problem getting a crew together to fish. He holds a commercial food fish license and commercial fluke license and fishes 3-5 days a week depending on the weather. All fishing is done by rod and reel and he strictly abides by all limits. You will have the oppurtunity to fish out of Jones/Debs Inlet as well as Shinne****. Most of the fishing is for fluke, bass, and wreck fishing.

With my help he is looking for a couple of steady guys. All he is looking for is you stand at the rail and fish for the boat, help with cutting bait, setting the anchor, ect...... Sometimes you will get to take a few fish home. All you have to do is bring your lunch and that is it. He will never ask for money. Most fishing is done during the week and sometimes on the weekends. If this is something that may interest any of you please send me a pm or reply here. You dont have to be available everyday, even if you can commit to 1 or 2 steady days a week that would be great. This would be perfect for someone who is semi or fully retired or even a kid going to school or working part time who has days off during the week.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some people have asked if this is for one day here and there. I can tell you if the weather is nice he will be fishing so he is looking for someone who could be available a few days a week. Boat is in the water all year long and if the fish are around he will go out weather pending.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Anyone interested should also be aware that, according to law, you will be entitiled to free medical care for any injuries sustained while on the boat (regardlss of whose fault it is) or realated premises while working on the boat.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
quote:
Anyone interested should also be aware that, according to law, you will be entitiled to free medical care for any injuries sustained while on the boat (regardlss of whose fault it is) or realated premises while working on the boat.

quote:
And if he really does abide by all the rules, there will be no taking of fish home for personal use.

Lighten up a little bit guys. Given in this day in age everything is someone else fault, there are some of us who still abide by a different set of rules... not to mention that if it's a commercial boat he's probably insured and such injuries would be covered. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking people out on a commercial boat who are not paid employees provided it's not a charter (as that changes insurance considerations), and they are not paying charters..

As far as breaking the rules goes - is it really illegal to give some of your legal limit away with a commercial permit?.. I have a hard time believing that it is, and if it is illegal, that anyone would care to enforce it. Anyone that I know who has fished on a commercial boat speaks about keeping some of the catch for personal use and actually what they tend to keep ends up often being what is not legal to sell or is bycatch (ie big monkfish, lobsters, tuna, sharks etc..)..

Also keep in mind the charter boats around here that do giant bluefin charters actually state, often in writing, that the fish will be sold and the fares will receive nothing more than a free trip.

Whether it's legal or just accepted to have paying customers fishing "commercially" on a charter then I can't see what is worse or wrong with having buddies fishing on a commercial boat.

Regardless though it's not a bad deal for someone who loves to fish and doesn't have the resources to fish on a private boat - I'll bet a hook and line boat like that has a skipper at the helm who *will* put you on some nice fish.

Jon

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I didn't think that my post was so aggressive that I should lighten it up. But if someone is going to go commercial fishing (I don't really care if they don't get compensated, that's their choice), they deserve to know (should find out on their own?) what rules will pertain to them.

Maybe you don't think that an ECO will issue a summons (There are a few ways to write that scenario in NYS), but I wouldn't recommend trying it. I know it happens, I see it happening, and I don't drop dimes or wave my finger. But I think, again, that people should not be offered a "perk" that is more like hot merchandise. There's nothing wrong w/ offering someone an opprtunity, and even showing them pics of all the roses they will have, but it shouldn't be wrong for them to see the manure that goes w/ the roses.

And that's how a one-line heads-up turns into two paragraphs. And I only pointed out that because it was mentioned, and I thought I made my point succinctly. I did not go on to list other liabilities and responsibilities that a person accepts when they turn from rec to comm by riding on such a trip.

Paul

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
So what exactly is this offer???
He's looking for somebody to fish his boat, for no pay, simply for the joy of catching fish, to donate to the captain so he can make a living???

Am I missing something here? I see no mention of any compensation other than a few fish to take home every so often.

****, with the current regulations for fluke I can catch a hundred fluke a day on my own boat, throw 'em all back because they are under 20" and come back home with nothing to show for my efforts either.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
CaptPaul wrote:
I didn't think that my post was so aggressive that I should lighten it up. But if someone is going to go commercial fishing (I don't really care if they don't get compensated, that's their choice), they deserve to know (should find out on their own?) what rules will pertain to them.

Maybe you don't think that an ECO will issue a summons (There are a few ways to write that scenario in NYS), but I wouldn't recommend trying it. I know it happens, I see it happening, and I don't drop dimes or wave my finger. But I think, again, that people should not be offered a "perk" that is more like hot merchandise. There's nothing wrong w/ offering someone an opprtunity, and even showing them pics of all the roses they will have, but it shouldn't be wrong for them to see the manure that goes w/ the roses.

And that's how a one-line heads-up turns into two paragraphs. And I only pointed out that because it was mentioned, and I thought I made my point succinctly. I did not go on to list other liabilities and responsibilities that a person accepts when they turn from rec to comm by riding on such a trip.

Paul

Hi Paul,

No offense intended, I just didn't think it was a parade that needed rain..

However I'm wondering what rules you break by taking home a piece of the days catch as a commercial fisherman?

Another example would be the large number of commercial striper fisherman in MA who are not required to sell their catch. Basically you get a permit and if admitting you are on a commercial trip your length limit goes up 6 inches but you can keep ~30 fish instead of 2..

I'm not sure how they need to report but as far as I know they can do whatever they choose with those fish - one of the major arguements of stripers forever was that most commercial striper fishermen were just rec's who wanted to take more than their fair share.

The only example I am aware of where it's a requirement that fish must be "commercial" if landed is the charter/headboat tuna permit where only 1 bluefin > 73 inches can be landed for recreational purposes per year.. however it seems to be more for quota purposes as they don't even state that all commercial tuna must be sold anywhere I am aware of - by law all that is required is reporting, provided you stay within the limits and report you are covered.

I've just never seen any such law that specifically prohibits crew from keeping part of the catch for personal use.. sure there are blatant abuses of the system, but a guy who is a pinhooker by proffesion that takes an unpaid crew out for a few free fish doesn't seem to be abusing the system to me.

Jon

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Just for clarification, I do know that on commercial codfishing trips the crew is allowed 20 pounds of filets per trip for personal use. I don't know what the federal rules are for other species.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What a bunch of girls!

What a bunch of skirts some of you have become.

The bottom line is -- if youy want to go fishing for free, give the fish to the commercial captain, and don'tr expect any $$ in return ....... then call or email the guy. It's pretty simple.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GoodChance,
I couldn't agree with you more!!! How many people would die for the oppurtunity to fish 150 days a year and not cost them a dime except for some lunch. I look at it this way if you want to go on a party boat for a full day at $70 a pop, that's $10,500 a year that I have saved. Granted you get to keep what you catch.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
GoodChance wrote:
What a bunch of skirts some of you have become.

The bottom line is -- if youy want to go fishing for free, give the fish to the commercial captain, and don'tr expect any $$ in return ....... then call or email the guy. It's pretty simple.

Would you rather not know what rights you have?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mike -

I know that I need to accept responsibility for my own decisions. If I'm assisting with a commercial fishing adventure (hook and line), I know taht the act of fishing, being on boats and being on the sea all have inherent risks taht I am willing to accept to be on the water pursuing a passion that I enjoy. I know these risk. If I get to the boat and don't like the boat or the Captain, I won't go a 2nd time.

We all need to learn to accept responsibility for our own decisions.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.