NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will spending 5 nights in Fort Myers Beach Florida
at the end of this month. I will be mostly fishing from a
kayak in the Estro and San Carlos Bay area.

I am bringing my 8wt with a floating line
and an extra spool with intermediate sink.

Curious if anyone has experience fly fishing
that area and might be willing to offer some
advice regarding a productive fly selection (size, color,
etc..) or any other info...

I really need to start tying.

thanks

This post edited by peelingoranges 08:54 AM 02/14/2008

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you showed up there with clousers and deceivers in white, pink, and chartreuse you would catch fish. In addition, there are some specialty flies for snook, sea trout and redfish that you should explore. Tarpon are not uncommon either. There are also some good tackle shops around for flies...I recall one just over the bridge in Sanibel that was fly friendly...and gave me the latest hot flies and spots to use them. Spend a few $ there and I'm sure it'll be worth it. Let us know how you make out. I miss that area!!

Bait Box, The 1041 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel Island, FL 33957, 239-472-1618, A full service bait shop that offers a full line of fishing tackle and accessories, cast nets

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stop by Fishtales marina(its at the southern end of the estero strip). they rent boats there and also sell bait. i'm sure they could offer some productive fishing spots. they actually have "resident" snook by the bait house. These snook are the LARGEST i've ever seen......i was lucky enough to watch the baitshop guy feed them dead shrimp that the baitshop cant sell. The baitshop guy saw my eyes light up at the size of the fish and made it clear to me that they are the marina's pets ......

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Bait Box is on Sanibel and you also have to pay a $6 toll.

There are a few good shops that are fairly close to were you are staying, about 10 minutes away.

Think of fish in PI Sound, Estro and all inlnade bays as brackish water,brown tinted but clear/ with turle grass.

San Carlos Bay on the Gulf side will be more aqua/greenish color.

One the bay side kinda hard to descirbe depending on wind and current.

·
Registered
249 Posts
peelingoranges: We spend a month flyfishing in the Bonita/Ft. Myers area each March. First off, I feel the Sanibel Bait Shop is too far away from Ft. Myers for daily flyfishing trips, quite a drive with a toll bridge with backed up traffic and from what I observed during a visit to the Bait Shop, they aren't well stocked for fly fishing. Fishing for snook in the Ding Darling Preserve on Sanibel is very time consuming on foot unless you're familiar with the area. Fishing there and in Tarpon Bay from your kayak would probably be good if you could get good advice from a kayak forum or club regarding that area.

There was an Orvis shop a couple of years ago on this side of the Sanibel bridge called Lee Island Outfitters on Summerlin Rd, 437-5488 who can give you advice if they're still there. Also the Hyatt Regency in Bonita Springs had an Orvis shop. The Ace Hardware in Bonita Springs is also very helpful. You can get your S/W fishing license there (they check!)

San Carlos Pass is a very good area to fish in your kayak as well as Lover's Key and all along Ft. Myers Beach. Lovers Key State Park has a kayak launch and parking and is a beautiful place to kayak. There are snook, some redfish and jacks along the beach. There is a great jack bridge on the road that you use to cross over to Ft. Myers beach before you get to the big Ft. Myers bridge. Daybreak fishing is great! Bring bug repellent.

Slim white flies like deceivers and white seducers we've found to be productive for snook and chart/white anything for the jacks which will give your 8 wt. a good tussle. Use your sinking line for the seatrout all along the channel dropoff along San Carlos beaches. They also like chart/wht and dark clousers. #2 hooks are fine and a 12" shock of 30# flouro might be helpful for aggressive snook.

Good luck and hope these comments help you out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.