NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike Parsons, 42, was among four surfers who rode waves of 80 feet or more along the Cortes Bank.

NY TIMES-

in the article wrote:
?I?ve made some heavy missions out to Cortes Bank,? said Greg Long, one of the surfers who ventured out Saturday. ?But this time, it was all on the line: The biggest storm. The biggest swell. The biggest buoy readings ever seen. And as far as the risk factor, it was off the charts.?

This post edited by PURSUITWA 11:11 AM 01/09/2008

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
About 70 feet too big for me! There is a special running on the discovery channel about the big wave riders with pictures of Mavericks, Waimea, jaws, Teahapu. Great show!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There's a movie out called step into liquid where a few guys chartered a boat out to the cortes bank. they said it's surfable only about 8 days a year when the winds are very light. the day they went one guy caught a 66 foot wave. the footage was incredible. they also said their are many sharks out there because it's a big hangout spot for seals. a guy in a black wetsuit looks like a tasty seal to a shark. lol. Those guys sure are crazy who surf a wave like that though.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Riding Giants

MakoMike wrote:
About 70 feet too big for me! There is a special running on the discovery channel about the big wave riders with pictures of Mavericks, Waimea, jaws, Teahapu. Great show!

Great movie! My favorite scene is Laird Hamilton riding this wave in Teahupoo, Tahiti. Unbelieveable! Look at how the wave piles up on the reef.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Earnie,
You get out much out there? where do you go? I've surfed Lyman's and that spot just north of the harbor entrance. Also down by the Little Blue church just north of the beach park on Alii Drive.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Surfs down dude

MakoMike wrote:
Earnie,
You get out much out there? where do you go? I've surfed Lyman's and that spot just north of the harbor entrance. Also down by the Little Blue church just north of the beach park on Alii Drive.

I gave up on it years ago Mike. After having 2 disks in my back fused and both shoulders operated on, I decided to enjoy just watching from shore when it gets really big.
Haven't had any decent size swell out here yet this winter and all the surfers are going stir crazy. The place on Alii Drive your thinking about is Kahaluu beach park. Lots of tourists taking surf lessons and it can get a little insane when there are 20-30 gremmies (remember that term?
) in the water at the same time.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
ahiman wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
Earnie,

I gave up on it years ago Mike. After having 2 disks in my back fused and both shoulders operated on, I decided to enjoy just watching from shore when it gets really big.
Haven't had any decent size swell out here yet this winter and all the surfers are going stir crazy. The place on Alii Drive your thinking about is Kahaluu beach park. Lots of tourists taking surf lessons and it can get a little insane when there are 20-30 gremmies (remember that term?
) in the water at the same time.

Yeah, that's the place. Some good fishing from shore there. Everytime I fish there with my light "whipping" tackle, I hook something I can't stop! The green turtles are also fun to watch, I've got some great pics of green turtles that I took there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Extreme Surfing

Man thats what I call a monster wave - the guy pictured looks like
a flea. Talk about a having a big set. I have been out in
some big Hawaiian surf, but 80'is just completely insane. Hats off
to those boys and thank God they made it back alive.

This post edited by MakoMike 05:10 PM 01/09/2008

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.