NorEast Fishing Forum banner

For All You Motorheads Out There......

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  lpv77 
#1 ·
Heres the deal.........I've got an '03 chevy s-10 pickup,automatic transmission, V-6, and last week she kept stalling on me for some reason. So I brought it to the mechanic, and to make a long story short she ended up needing a new alternator and a new battery.

Now, the car squeeks like theres no tomorrow. Anybody know if this is unusual after getting a new alternator? The mechanic said it's because where the belt wraps onto the alternator, there is paint (being a new alternator) so the belt has a tough time 'biting' to it, which will make it squeek. So while I was there he put WD-40 on the belt, which didn't stop the squeeking. I've also heard that soap on the belt will be better than WD-40, b/c the lube just soaks into the belt. Anyone heard of this b4?

The belt is fine, it doesn't need to be replaced. And i know it's not my brakes or anything, b/c the car will squeek if I rev it while im in park. What are your thoughts? Before I go and smack this guy around and make him fix the **** thing, I figured it couldn't hurt to hear some opinions. So fire away...........

-Tom

#3 ·
Well first off NEVER NEVER spray a lubricant of any kind on belt!!!!

Second, I have never seen an alternator with paint on the pulley, new or otherwise.

Belt squeal can happen for a number of reasons.

Moisture of any kind on the belt, with the exception of belt dressing.

Belt is to loose or too tight.

Bad bearing in the alternator.

Alternator not mounted straight.

Worn belt.

Belt not designed for a particular type of pulley

Belt to wide for the groves, or too narrow to spin the alternator properly.

Thats all I can think of right now, probably some others, but it aint right in any case, especially if it is new.

Guess it is possible someone got greasy hands on the pully or the belt, if so it should stop eventually but it is not good for the belt, it will heat it up and shorten it's life.

Open the hood with it running, and have someone else rev it up so you can be sure it is the alternator. If it is, take it back and ask for it to be fixed.

#4 ·
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, honestly I think the mechanic is just being lazy and doesn't want to take a good look into what's causing it; there definitely needs to be some trouble shooting. I'm more concerned with doing damage driving it like this and having to shell out more $$$.

As for the lubricant........i thought it was very odd, but the reasoning was that it would make the belt sort of tacky and it would help to grip the pulley better. Like I said, someone else recommended SOAP being better than WD-40 since it wont absorb into the belt.......but than if it rains, I'll be the worlds largest bubble machine! Maybe during a storm I can throw a load of clothes under the hood while I drive around? SPIN CYCLE!

#6 ·
Capt Ed III wrote:
one question tom, did you have the same noise before you did any work? if not, you know the answer. the paint on the pulley story is just that, a story.
better think about a new belt anyway. oil on the belt is a no-no. will stretch & squeak. only thing i ever put on a belt was dry soap.

-ken

Nah, no squeeking at all when I brought it in Ken. Not to be a ball-buster, but if I brought it in without a squeek......than theres no way it should come out with one, ya know? Im wondering if these guys think I'm just being a pain in the ars so they r blowing me off, i doubt it.

For what it's worth, the mech. told me that later that day he put a new alternator in a ford ranger and it was squeeking too.....sounds more like poor workmanship to me

#8 ·
It's with great sadness that I bring this thread back to life......

My squealing went away on it's own eventually, thank goodness.

However, the squealing started back up about a month ago after some heavy rains, and I've sort of been living it with since then. But it's gotten unbearable the last week or so, to the point where not even my radio will make it go away!

So I said enough is enough, and I brought it to a different mechanic to look at it ( I figured giving my usual mechanic 3 shots at it was enough :rolleyes: ). So it's up at the shop now, I just stopped by during lunch to see how they were making out. They said it was my idler pulley that had a bad bearing in it, a fairly common problem. Why my usual guy couldn't figure that out is beyond me, but whatever.

Soooo the guy had literally just finished changing this pulley, and tells me to start it up. Wellllll waddya know, she's a-squealing

Lincoln, I am starting to think this might have been the problem all along:

AZFISHKILLER wrote:
Tom,

Don't rule out a defective new or rebuilt alternator, it happens.

But hey, at least I got a new idler pulley out of it :rolleyes:

The car is still up there and they are trying to figure out what is making the noise.....we'll see what happens

#9 ·
Capt Ed III wrote:
lol. the washing machine analogy was good.
it really doesn't work that way though. i've seen many people spray wd 40 on belts. i just shake my head.
if you didn't have the noise before, here are suggestions:
1) alternator is making the noise. i have seen a few rebuilt alternators squeal when charging under load. not normal, should be replaced.
2) tensioner could be sticking. happens on occasion after you disturb it. gets disturbed by belt r&r.

unless something else abby-normal happened, that's likely about it in
your particular situation.

-ken

I should probably add that the tensioner was replaced too.....so now I've got a new tensioner to match my new idler pulley :rolleyes:

#11 ·
It could very well be the Belt if its a Gates replace it with a goodyear gatorback gates has had problems with their serpentine belts over the last few years, If its not the belt replace the alternator it could be a bad bearing

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 07:09 PM 08/07/2009

#13 ·
Although ear plugs would be a MUCH cheaper option
.......the root of the problem is in fact the alternator. Yes, the same one that was put in a year ago (I hate those rebuilt pieces of junk)

So I don't know if my original mechanic was just ignorant and didn't think the alternator was the problem, or maybe he did and didn't want to admit that he got me a bad one.....who knows :confused: Either way, it's not someone I'll be going to again
This new guy that my company brings all our trucks to knew what it was....process of elimination really, belt is ok.....idler pulley wasn't it.....and the tensioner was replaced also and that didn't make it go away.

So now it's a matter of whether or not the squeak is worth a $100 alternator and labor to replace it....some might go with earplugs, but I'm gonna get that puppy replaced tomorrow
Thanks for all the responses
, I could have listened to everyone a year ago but I guess it serves me right for trusting my mechanic

#15 ·
What else is the belt turning?Water pump?pwr steer pump?etc. any time you loosen and re tighten a belt you can put a different strain on other parts involved.A good tech would have gone around with a stethoscope to isolate the squeak.When you find a good shop be sure to call them techs not mechanics.

#19 ·
The gatorback is a great belt for solving many belt related noises. Not for nothing though, Accessory noise issues are not that hard to figure out. Sound like a bunch of morons you are dealing with! If worst comes to worst bring it to the dealer. I know they are more money but you get what you pay for. Also, the dealer has access to service bulletins for many issues. Your squeal might be one. I believe that gas stations do to, but most are to lazy to look it up. Also if the dealer mis diagnosed your car, which it happens, you would not be blown off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.