NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a blank, etc... for fly fishing for fluke. I am on the North Shore of LI and fish out of Huntington Harbor. Thanks in advance.

Fencer04

·
Registered
524 Posts
Fly Rod for fluke

Fluke are not typically fished with a fly rod since they are a bottom fish. However, you can fish with a rapid sinking fly line to work the bottom with a streamer fly.

For this type of fishing you will need a minimum of a 9 or 10 weight rod with an ultra fast sinking line or a lead core headed line.

Al

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fluke on the Fly?????

Why bother with a Fly rod if you're going to be bottom fishing? But if you are stuck on the idea, my suggestion would be to use at least a 10wt Salmon/Steelhead blank. They are built with a much beefier butt section that will be needed to lift a doormat from the depths. I assume you'll be fishing from a boat also so length is not that bisg of an issue. Cabellas makes some great Steelhead blanks for spining rods in 8.5' & 9' lengths that I know make very good beefy fly rods. Price is right too.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have caught many fluke from Rocky Point Beach on a fly while hunting bass and blues. Lots of fun and yes they will come up to take a fly on the top in water less than 5 or 6 ft deep. Have been surprised several times by surface hits from fluke. Also caught a fluke on a popper in Port Jeff Harbor while throwing to blues in about 12 ft of water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.