NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of going for a Billy Pate A/R reel. Any thoughts on right hand or left hand crank ( The A/R is not changeable ) I am right handed and am used to cranking a spin reel with my left hand, but am concerned that a left handed fly reel might cause a problem with stripping and d/hauling on that side of the reel. Any opinions here? Or maybe it just doesn't matter.

Striper77

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Striper77,

If you are going to invest that kind of $$$ into a fly reel? You should also look into the Charlton reels. I like the drag system and the (great ease) spool change mechanism.

Also? I am a right handed person and used to the spinning reel (reel with the left hand)?and when I fly fish, I have no problem with stripping and reeling in with my left! It takes time to get used to it? and once you start? It?s really easy!

I also use conventional reels for powercasting, surf, bottom & wreck fishing? but somehow I can?t get used to the right hand fly reeling... Just my 2 cents worth. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for input. I think you are right about the left hand crank on the fly reel. Right side always feels wierd to me also. That Charlton is nice but makes the Pate look cheap in comparison. A/R Pates are going for between $300 and $350 ( List is about $470 ), I don't see any Charltons for less than $500. I just figured I would use the Pate for blues and schoolies, then I would have it if I ever get to chase bones with a fly. Have done them on spinning gear but never a fly and I sure would love to give it a go. Fin Nor new reel is really nice too, but that also is a $500 deal.
Thanks for input.

Striper77

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would think you would use your left hand as you do using spinning tackle. The Pate line is worth your dollar and will last a lifetime. However, there are many reels you can buy for half the money which will get you in the game. I've used a $100 Orvis Battenkill 8/9 Direct Drive and have had no problem landing blues to the teens and stripers to 36". Another reel you may want to consider is the Orvis Odyssey. With last years intro of the Vortex they have recently dropped the price down to $245.00 for the 8/9, and this is without a doubt the best reel out there for the money. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts

Just curious - what kind of saltwater fly fishing do you pursue that you're looking into an A/R reel?

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.