NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey KILSONG and other members,

My name is John and I was wonering if you could give me more information about the squid fishing in Greenport. When does the season start and end? Where do you fish from, is it better to fish at night or during the day? I have a boat in the area, where would you suggest I fish for the squid and would you know how I would locate them? I know that I am asking for a lot of information but anything will help.
Thanks John

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Johny513 wrote:
My name is John and I was wonering if you could give me more information about the squid fishing in Greenport. When does the season start and end? Where do you fish from, is it better to fish at night or during the day? I have a boat in the area, where would you suggest I fish for the squid and would you know how I would locate them? I know that I am asking for a lot of information but anything will help.

Majority of the "local" (Orient Pt/Greenport) squid fishing is done at night with squid jigs! Your best bet is to try a well-lighted dock like the Greenport commercial dock. Enjoy!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
capt.rock wrote:
Guys,
Has there been a squid run yet this year? When should it happen? .

There are squid in the area already! I received several squid reports Jones, Great South Bay, Shinny, Orient and Montauk! Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Hi Johny513,

Squid rig is pretty simple. It is like high and low rig for porgy. You attach Yozuri squid jig instead of hook and drop to the bottom and move up and down slowly. If you feel any extra weight, just lift the rod and reel in. The Greenport pier is usually very crowded. If you have a boat nearby you have a definite advantage. Several years ago I discussed with Capt. Mike of Prime Time II for night squid fishing on his boat, but it never materialized.
Squid run in Greenport area doesn't last long, at most 3-4 week, so does jumbo fluke run which follow squid. Actually you can see school of squid on your fish finder. I suggest you try near Greenport pier area first. Squid usually bite better at night with the exception of Hyannis, MA where daytime fishing is as good as nighttime fishing. We made an exploratory trip yesterday morning on Rosie S in Hyannis, MA and found big school of squid are already in by catching 300-400 squid per person on squid jig.
Also I have a report that squid run near Newport, RI has started.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Mike,
Thanks fot that, the ones are Federal hill are certainly the easiest to target. :) I was out in Pt. Judith yesterday and saw a couple of draggers working just to the south west of the breakwalls, they were probably working them. I was running the boat over from Montauk, not fishing, but I didn't mark anything on the sounder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you

Thanks to everyone for responding. I now need to finish up the boat and get ready for some fluke trips out to Greenlawns and Shelter Island. I sometimes use full squid when fishing for fluke during this time this seems to produce larger fish and sometimes weak fish. Hopefully I will see some of you out there.

Regards

Capt. Rock

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.