NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new fluke rod. I do most of my fluking in the ocean w/bait. I am looking at two rods that looked good to me, both G-Loomis. MBR783C 6'6" 10-17lb. med-heavy GL2
MBR784C 6'6" 12-20lb. heavy GL2
Are these ideal for fluke? I'm planning to complete it with a Calcutta 400. I was leaning toward the 784C because I would most likely use it for fooling around with big blues once in a while as well. At the moment just looking for store bought because of $ and a GL2 would be difference enough from the rods I have been using. (Shimano-convergence, and U.Stiks). I would really appreciate any info. Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Johnny,

I have built many custom rods on these blanks and both are great for fluking. The one caveat I would make is to fish these only with mono line. I advise against using braided line since these are Loomis high-tech graphite and are not as durable as some others.

Al G.

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Johnny B,

Lamiglas, Seeker and Diawa make very interesting rods also. Check them out at your local tackle shop. They will be happy to assist you in chosing the right one.

I would find it difficult to find 1 rod that I would use for fluking and big blues. Thats just because I fish lighter on fluke and a beefier stick for big blues.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with Neil, I have tried to make a rod that would by good for both but to no avail. The rod ended up being excellent for Fluke, but just tool light for the blues. I could use it but I end up losing a lot of fish and have to fight them too long (for the fishes sake). I do however have a recommendation for a great fluke rod. Penn came out with a line of rods called to Bay Master or something to that effect. They were great. All I can say is that the money spent on buying two rods each for it's own purpose is much better then skimping and trying to use one in the middle.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. The rod would be for fluke. I really just mentioned the b.fish because I wanted to make sure the rod would be able to handle the occasional blue that hits while fluking. I definitley didnt plan to target blues with it. Which rod would be best? Is the 784C too heavy? Thanks again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I like my fluke rods a little on the light side as bucktailing is my method of choice. Either rod would be good for them I think. If it is for bay fishing with lighter weights then go with the 783C. For ocean fishing or if you need heavier weights then go with the 784C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.