NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with DEC. They are telling the public that even though there is "should be" changes in the fluke regs for this year, their lack of a commitment means that by default, last years season/limits will stay in effect until we are told otherwise. Therefore, it looks like May 2nd will be opening day.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I've been informed by a highly reliable source that the regulations will be the same as last year.

But I must stress this is nothing official and no announcement has been made as of yet.

I'm really not sure what the delay is, but it is quite frustrating for us as well as many of our advertisers. Imagine the number of open and charter boats that would like to announce their starting date fro fluke, rather than their current flounder ads. I can see it now the announcement will be made on Monday morning, just in time for us to get 100-telephone calls for last minute ad changes. And if they?re advertising in Newsday or the Daily News there are no last minute changes with them.

This late decision is also putting a damper on advance charter bookings, as well as many of that take their fluke seriously. I understand that there?s a process in place, but the sportfishing industry, as well as many recreational anglers need to know in advance what we?re able to fish for.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
17" Should be Fine With Everyone

Can someone explain why so many anglers want to see the size limit brought down to 16"? Every part of the Island had its share of large fluke last year. Does one inch make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
148 Posts
DoctorFish

Doctorfish,

I agree with you. Last year our Fluke season was so good, we didn't even keep anything under 18"!! Fished off Shoreham all summer. The general rule of thumb was if you had to measure it, it wasn't worth keeping!!.....Hope this year is just as good!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I guess that's where all the legal sized fluke went. It's easy for you lucky East Enders to be magnanimous with the size end of the regs. I fished all season at Magnolia Pier and saw very few keepers. My personal best was a 16 3/4" (yes it went right back!). I know it wasn't just me. All at the pier were singing the same sorrowful song all season.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Finaddict

Addict, I live in Shoreham and was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me where you were catching all the Fluke?

Is it reachable from shore or should I head out in my kayak? I'm new to kayaking so I don't feel like venturing too far out into the sound just yet until I get my bearings perfected with the yak.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why then did the party boats sing a diiferent tune?

If that's the case that in the South shore bays there were so many small fluke, why then did both the GSB and Nassau party boats consistently report pool winning fish for almost every trip in the 4lb to 7lb range?

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Hey - there's not a **** of a lot of meat on a 17" fluke - anything below that & it's hardly worth the effort.

Would actually like to see the size increase a little further. Probably going to catch flack for this - but that's my view point.

I don't keep bass under 30" either. Don't keep any either - regardless of size - if I've already got a catch in the freezer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Speaking for myself I wanted 16.5 at 5 or 4. I was surfcasting in Jamaica Bay last summer for fluke/weakfish and was catching fluke but only had a few that even came close to 17'.

When I go fishing I do want to go home with something...don't mean a lot...but don't want to feel like I'm just wasting my time and 17' for fluke is just a little to big in Jamaica Bay for surfcasting.

mudman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.