NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my second year of fishing out of Oyster Bay and would appreciate comments re fluke leaders for my next years fluking. Is mono or fluorocarbon leader best? Should I use 20 or 30 lb. test for my leader? What is your favorite fluke rig??
Thanks in advance from the pros - Mel

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always use 30 pound floro carbon,and also use a circle hook because of the possible shorts we all encounter. I keep my bait simple (no beads e.t.c) and have lots of nice fish all season...Hope this helps,davey

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
18" - 36" of 30 pound fluorocarbon with a 3/0 Gamakatsu shiner hook if you are using spearing/ squid combo. When using large baits such as live snappers, I go to 4/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook. When the drift is fast, I shorten the leader to 18" - 24", when it slow, I go to a longer leader. Early in the season I use a silver bullet jig with a squid strip in place of a sinker. For some reason, later in the season the silver bullet becomes much less productive...

Gamakatsu

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Flouro is great for leaders, but it is expensive, and I really don't find that it is necessary with fluke. They don't seem to be very line shy. I'll use a circle or a wide gap hook on a 24" 20 pound clear Andy leader and all I use for bait is a shiner hooked through the eyes. No squid, spinners, or bucktail. I like to make the bait look as natural as possible and the fish seem to like it too. I will also use a bucktail teaser, green with pearl flashabou, tied about 18" up the line and put another shiner on that hook. This will pick up fluke, stripers, blues, and seabass.

I will often fish a bait rod and jig with a silver bullet also tipped with a spearing instead of squid. Gamakatsu's method of using one instead of a sinker is an interesting technique I think I will try next year. Make your own decision, West Marine sells Seaguar Flouro for a pretty reasonable price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gamakatsu,
I was using a silver bullet and a 4-5" long dropper loop teaser about 18" above the silver bullet jig. However, later in the season all I was catching was sea robins on the bullet and nada on the teaser. I switched to a 3 way swivel in place of the silver bullet, kept the teaser and began to catch fluke again. Thank you also davey and porgyman for your comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.