NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER TRIED FLUKE FISHING WITH LURES ALONE? I'VE TRIED IT ONLY AFTER AN UNFORTUNATE BAIT BUCKET LOSS WITHOUT GOOD RESULTS. OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME THAT ITS COMMON WITH BUCKTAILS/MR TWISTER COMBO. ANY COMMENTS?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I use backtails and homemade jigs all the time when I'm fluking in the bays. Usually, a jig is more effective when tipped with a spearing, killie or a squid strip, but if you want to go completely artificial, Uncle Josh pork rind (bass strips) in white can be very effective. Use the smallest bucktail that will stau on bottom, and just twitch it a little as it bounces along. Use light tackle (8-10 # test, light spinning rod). It makes catching a short alot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
While inshore fluking, I've caught my largest fluke on artificials. Generally I use a 3/8oz jighead with a spearing on it, but have gradually been changing over to plastics like Fin-s, lunker city, mister twisters, etc. I basically cast out and crawl the lure across the bottom with a slow retreive. Largest last summer was 5lbs. Granted you really cant use this light setup in deep water, but its a killer way to kill a few hours after work from a local pier during the summer.

got tog?

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I always use lures while fluking. Even if there is a bait rod out also. Bucktails, Fin-S (large and small ones), other rubber jigs and one of the best is a Silver Bullet tipped with spearing. I've had caught fluke on lures, from the surf, on bars from the boat and in 70 feet of water in the ocean. It is a lot more fun.

The way I caught my largest fluke is interesting, and for some reason I have never tried it since. When I was a kid, during the slack water high, my father decided to troll in the flats. We trolled a big red worm really slow and my brother and I both hooked up to big fluke. I was too young to remeber exactly how we did it (hooks, weights, speed, any spinner?) but it worked. I had forgotten about that until now. Dad, any input?

·
Registered
468 Posts
ALL Jigs I haven't used a conventioal fluke rig in over 2 years I used 2 1/4 oz tied to dropper
loop and whatever I need for weight on the bottom
loop, Have been doing very well this way. and last season biggest 9.5lb. caught on top hook 1/4oz 1/0 hook.I fish the sound and the ocean,and this works on both sides.
Good luck and tight lines.
Bob

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
cmc988 wrote:
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EVER TRIED FLUKE FISHING WITH LURES ALONE? I'VE TRIED IT ONLY AFTER AN UNFORTUNATE BAIT BUCKET LOSS WITHOUT GOOD RESULTS. OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME THAT ITS COMMON WITH BUCKTAILS/MR TWISTER COMBO. ANY COMMENTS?

Hello CMC,
Yes, fluke are predators and they will chase down just about anything that swims. I've had great luck with a simple bucktail, kastmaster, hopkins, plastics and even swimming plugs.

the key is to work it slowly and close to the bottom. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
OK Doughboy, I'll see if my memory cells haven't atrophied during the stressfull years I spent getting you to where you are today. Things do happen slower these days, Ha Ha. The rig I used to troll with was pretty much a standard fluke rig. I would take a 4/0 hook and attach about 3 ft of 20 lb mono, slip on 3 or 4 small beads followed by a 1 inch colorado spinner blade on a clevis. this would be attached to a (SMALL) three way swivel. on the bottom I would put about a ten inch dropper with a 1 or 2 oz bass sinker. I would attach this directly my line , usually 12 or 15 lb test no additional hardware. My favorite bait were fresh caught large shiners if we were able to net some in the begining of the trip. I often used large rubber worms with a squid strip as well. I would try to find an area 3 to 8 ft deep with eel grass on the bottom and troll as slowly as possible with just enough speed to make the blade turn over. Let out enough line so that the sinker just taps the bottom now and then. The fish hit very agressivly and you dont have to worry about setting the hook.

·
Registered
79 Posts
During the fluke season some of the most fun fishing I've ever had was fishing with a diamond jig for fluke. It is a very effective when you just bounce it off thr bottom. The jig looks alot like a wounded spearing or bait fish. During the fall months while drifting Jones Inlet for fluke I picked up many nice 5-6 pound fluke and some nice stripers and a few weakfish.
J.R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you guys about using artificials for fluke. It's much easier and less messy to fish without natural bait, and I prefer more active techniques over "drifting and dreaming." This past June I caught several fluke in shallow water with a shad-type lure on a 3/8 ounce head in the back of a flats boat while the guy in the bow was working on stripers with a fly rod. My experience has led me to believe, however, that a jig tipped with a spearing has an edge over one without.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Sgt.add apiece of fluke bellie that you saved from your last trip on with that jig with spearing an BAMM. Thats the ticket!! Thats why I always save those Smilling bill jigs that have been riped apart from too many bass or blues. They make great fluke jigs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Spygull wrote:
? I would take a 4/0 hook and attach about 3 ft of 20 lb mono, slip on 3 or 4 small beads followed by a 1 inch colorado spinner blade on a clevis. this would be attached to a (SMALL) three way swivel. on the bottom I would put about a ten inch dropper with a 1 or 2 oz bass sinker...

Spygull,
That?s a common ?Montauk? method for big doormat! Depending on the depth? we occasionally use 6-10 oz. Sinkers! ;)

Capt J wrote:
During the fluke season some of the most fun fishing I've ever had was fishing with a diamond jig for fluke. It is a very effective when you just bounce it off thr bottom. The jig looks alot like a wounded spearing or bait fish. During the fall months while drifting Jones Inlet for fluke I picked up many nice 5-6 pound fluke and some nice stripers and a few weakfish.

J.R.,
That is correct! I?ve had rewarding catches when diamond jigging for weaks and stripers? I?ve caught quality fluke with that method! In fact, you can?t beat a diamond jig when there is large pods of spearing and sandeels.

Sgt Pepper wrote:
This past June I caught several fluke in shallow water with a shad-type lure on a 3/8 ounce head in the back of a flats boat while the guy in the bow was working on stripers with a fly rod. My experience has led me to believe, however, that a jig tipped with a spearing has an edge over one without.

Sgt Pepper?
Spearing is a common fluke diet and it?s irresistible bait! Whenever I am fishing skinny waters for fluke? I also use a small jig that is generally tipped with one or two spearing!

rob.t Wrote:
? Thats why I always save those Smilling bill jigs that have been riped apart from too many bass or blues. They make great fluke jigs.

Rob,
You are 100% correct? A used / abused by fish bucktails (less hair) tipped with some kind of trailer is a deadly fluke combination! Simply work the bottom (bouncing) near a productive structure will yield some great results.

Here is a picture of a bucktailed fluke. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.