NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking forward to March 16th when flounder season opens. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting some flounders here in Rockaway? Problem is that I have no boat. So I'll be fishing from the shore in Breezy or off the wall.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a youth we used to catch some spring flatties off the North Channel Bridge in Howard Beach. From what I read in the reports this area still produces. Give a call in to Cross Bay Bait & Tackle in Howard Beach for the latest report. Smitty's fishing station in Broad Channel rents small skiffs if you are interested in getting out on the water. Magnolia pier in Long Beach might also hold some flounders. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
Thanks for the tips. I hope to be out this Saturday. I heard that chumming is a good idea. But I'm not sure that would be possible from the bridge

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Sunsplash

Treefella is right on the money with his reccomendation!.......I also have many memories of catching flounder from the cross bay bridge.
If you can....a rental skiff from smitty's in cross bay is really "flounder city" around easter.

Get the skiff and fish in front of the "yacht club"

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Treefella wrote:
?I heard that chumming is a good idea. But I'm not sure that would be possible from the bridge.

Treefella,

Allow me to interject, when flounder fishing in a wide-open area, it is very important to chum! Since you will be fishing from a bridge? the best time to chum would be approximately 1 1/2 hour before the slack water! If the bridge is too high ? don?t use chum pots - Simply toss a couple handful of crushed mussels around your fishing area and that should start the slick!

Why 1 ½ hr before slack? It will give the fish 1 ½ hour to follow your chum slick (congregate) and you will be able to cull them during the slack phase.

Good luck on the opening day!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does anyone have any tips for the shinne**** canal banks? Is it better to start near the locks or at the south end? How do you feel about using chum. I want to take my 10-year old daughter and would love to see her catch a few.

·
Registered
588 Posts
boy al ,i wish i had a giant recipe to make that flu of yours go away so you could be out there this saturday enjoying the begining of flounder season with all of us. i leave no words bard but my spirits are with you for a speedy recovery.....from yours truely ,cat 3-13-2002

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.