NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, start getting ready for flounder, because the Jersey season opens on March 1st. It should be a good start to the season with the mild weather that we've been having.
What type of info are you looking for around Sandy Hook? Are you lookim=ng for updates on fishing? Areas to fish? Get back to me, and I can give you all the info you could want. :)
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spinfreak,im new to the winter flounder hunt, i launch from the alantic highlands where do you think a good spot to try first time out would be??
distance is not a problem.. thanks wirenut

·
Registered
199 Posts
I keep my boat in the Atlantic Highlands, in the Skipper's Shop lot, which is on your left as you make the turn into the marina. Maybe I'll see you out there...lol.
Anyway, your best bet is to head up into either the Navesink or Shrewsbury river. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the rivers, so I'll tell you about each.
Navesink River:
Head right from the launch ramp, keep going past the all the way pst the bridge. After the bridge, you'll see the fork in the river. To the left is the Shrewsbury, to the right is the Navesink. Stay in or near the channel when going into the Navesink, as the waters outside of the channels are pretty shallow, and filled with rocks and boulders. One decent spot is on the right of the little island when you first enter the Navesink. It is very narrow between the island and the shore, so go slow and keep your eyes open for low water. Anywhere next to the Island is pretty good. Another spot in the Navesink that is really good, is just upstream of the bridge that you can see after you first go into the Navesink. If you have a depthfinder (or fishfinder), look for deeper holes about 50-100 yards upstream from the bridge, on the righthand side of the drawbridge.
Shrewsbury:
After going under the bridge (the first bridge, before the fork in the rivers), on the left is a spot called the Quay (the Quay restaurant is on the shore next to this spot). This spot is good at the beginning of outgoing tide. Any other time, the tide is moving way too fast to fish here. If you continue going to the left past the fork, keep going until you get to where the river turns right, and splits in two to go around the little island. Before you go up past the island, to your left in front of the island are a docks from a few marinas. Anywhere near these docks is usually pretty good. Further upriver, anywhere usually produces fish on the edges of the channel. One spot in particular is near bouy 36. This spot is usually my best producer in the Shrewsbury.
There are spots in the back of the bay, near Keyport. I'm not familiar with these spots, as I do most of my Flounder fishing in the rivers. But, in my opinion, the rivers usually produce better anyway.
You should anchor using two anchors, one in front and one in back, and anchor sideways to the current. There is a term for this type of anchoring, but it slipped my mind right now...lol. Don't anchor sideways when the current is moving fast, unless you have a stable boat.
Chum very heavily, the more the better. I usually put out 2 or 3 chumpots...one up front, one in the back, and sometimes one in the middle. Cracking mussels and throwing them uptide is a good idea too. I also bring along a plunger on a long pole, and churn up the bottom every 5-10 minutes.
This poat is getting pretty long...lol. I'll leave it at that for now. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the rigging, bait, etc. If you need more info, feel free to ask. I can help, and i'm sure others could help you too.
~Tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spinfreak,thanks for the info,i know just were you keep your boat i kept one there a couple years ago.. i now trailer mine from north jersey washington .. i know the area the hook farily well but just started on the winter flounder last march. well i got a 20 ft angler w/a.. and the whole family is ready to go,thanks for your info again and when i go i will give you a shout on the vhf.. good luck fishing!! WIRENUT...

·
Registered
199 Posts
LOL...I'll hold you to that shoutout. :)
Hhhmmmmm...let's see....20 ft w/a huh?...wanna trade boats?...lol I've always wanted a w/a, but I have a center console right now. Gotta wait for a new toy until I buy the fiance a house.
When you're out there, maybe you'll see me. I have a 22 ft Starcraft beige c/c (aluminum). Just look for a big guy and my fiance.
See you out there soon!!! :)

~spinfreak~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.