NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be staying in Little Torch with the family April 2-4 and could really use some advice. I've rented from Boats in the past with brothers/friends and fished right inside the bays, hawk's channel, and further out around the looe key reef (I realize it is restricted now). I'm kind of tight on cash and was considering a party boat instead-saw the web site for the Marathon Lady and also Sea Dog Charters, who advertises half-day charters for 60$ for four hour trips. What could I expect on any of these trips? I also have a friend who lives in Big Pine with access to a boat slip (and no boat?!) and I read about putting a chum bag out at night in the canals and seeing what comes along. I would like to try to catch pinfish and work up the food chain. Mostly I enjoy bending a rod on grouper, yellowtail, cuda, shark etc. I plan on bringing light to medium tackle (calcutta with 12 lb and heavier spinning set-up with 20lb line). Would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Thanks a lot. Billfish

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have fished on both the Marathon Lady and Sea Dog Charters. Both are excellent. Sea Dog is limited to 6 people per boat, so there is more attention paid to your fishing and a better chance that they will bring you to different fish. I went in December, so we started for Yellowtail. It was slow so the captain moved us to deeper water for Jacks, Grouper, etc. We hit some big Amberjacks (25 & 30 lbs), and lost several other big fish (broken lines, poor technique, etc). Second time out with them, we hit a ton of nice size yellowtails, so we never moved.
A party boat is a party boat. Excellent service, etc. but I think you end up giving up a little on quality fish.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like additional info on the Keys, I plan on flying down,renting a car and driving to the end. Know any "GOOD" motels along the way, as well as names of good marinas w/charters. Plan on spending about 10 days.Spending 2/3 days at a location as I drive. Thanks

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Get ready for some sites I found helpful prior to my trip.
wwwflkeysfishing.com (has good links)

www.charternet.com (good page)

www.floridsportsman.com

Type in fla keys fishing with your search button and there are a ton of them,
As far as lodging you might try renting a home if your there for a long time For a couple of days I would do some research as some of the place can go dor 150-200 a night.
Type in Florida keys rentals or try
[email protected]
I was ther at Christmas in Key Colony Beach which is right outside Marathon. This is where you can get both charters previously mentioned. Both good boats for the price.
There is one page for sunset villas which has reasonable lodging combined with fishing trips.
You will spend hours looking at theses sites and when you start to drewl its time to get on the plane. You will have a great time and have some great fishing. Dolphin will be running great at that time.

Tight lines and post a report when you get back.
also try VACATION RENTAL BY OWNER with your search button.
bcmeyer

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Get ready for some sites I found helpful prior to my trip.
wwwflkeysfishing.com (has good links)

www.charternet.com (good page)

www.floridsportsman.com

Type in fla keys fishing with your search button and there are a ton of them,
As far as lodging you might try renting a home if your there for a long time For a couple of days I would do some research as some of the place can go dor 150-200 a night.
Type in Florida keys rentals or try
[email protected]
I was ther at Christmas in Key Colony Beach which is right outside Marathon. This is where you can get both charters previously mentioned. Both good boats for the price.
There is one page for sunset villas which has reasonable lodging combined with fishing trips.
You will spend hours looking at theses sites and when you start to drewl its time to get on the plane. You will have a great time and have some great fishing. Dolphin will be running great at that time.

Tight lines and post a report when you get back.
also try VACATION RENTAL BY OWNER with your search button.
bcmeyer

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To all who have responded to my original post, thank you. I have viewed many of these sites and agree you can spend hours on line. I have rented a home with a slip for a week with my brothers and really enjoyed. I think it was on Little Torch, but its been a while and am not quite sure. Be careful though because some of the water becomes extremely skinny and its easy to nick or destroy a prop, which they will certainly charge for. I am returning to Parmers Place (Parmersplace.com) for a second time and it is quite simply, paradise. They also have a boat slip for an additional 10.00/nt and their rates are otherwise a little pricey. I found another great site connected with Florida Sportsman magazine which has a similar discussion board and found a good report regarding th marathon lady, but bad news on the Sea Dog. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot. Billfish

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are looking to have a little fun from the bridges try drifting cigar minnows with a bulb float. Go with the current and open bail. You will likely pick up a stray shark and certainly a barracuda or two. I am a frequent visitor to the keys and do a lot of fishing there. I have tried this method from the bridges and it has never failed. I learned it from one of the old salts down there and it has been great. You could find the minnows in any supermarket or K-Mart down there.

Hope this tip brings you fish.

Tight Lines - Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.