NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys... I know we've got LOTS of talent on many subjects here on Noreast and I want to tap into it on the subject of Flat Screen TV's. I've been furiously working on finishing my basement and expect to be done by the end of January. Whenever I make a large purchase I usuaally research it to death and do my best top make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Since we did such a great job with the Fios vs. Cablevision thread, I figured we could do some good on the subject of flat screen TV's as well.

I know there are LOTs choices out there: Plasma, LCD, 720P, 1080i, 1080p, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, etc, etc. I've done some reading, spoken to the consultants on the media room we're putting in to the building I am finishing up, looked around a little, and am starting to try and narrow the field a little. Although 1080p seems to be the highest quality HD today, it also comes with the higher price tags and my media guy told me that most HD programming doesn't even support it yet. His was pretty generic in his comments and basically said as long as you buy from a company that has been around a long time, as opposed to some of the new companies that have popped up with HD tv's you'll be fine. A few of the guys at work were raving that Samsung has the best HD picture out there, but then I heard, as saw first hand, that on non-HD pictures Samsung can be a little fuzzy around the edges.

I've got a wall all built for the TV to go. I recessed the wall slightly, ran power and cable to standard outlet heights and then have a 2 gang box next to it with a piece of 2" ENT running inside the wall to behind where the TV will be mounted to run all the cables from the cable box and stereo to the TV. I'm not a Audio/Video maniac so I don't need the top of the line from anyone. I'm figuring on some where between 46"-50" depending on price and want to stay under $2,000. Since many stores are having after Christmas specials and will probably be lowering their prices even more after the New Year, that should be a no-brainer.

So, let's hear it. What do you have? What would you have done differently? What deals have you come accros recently? My daughter's got a B-Day coming up and want to have a party in her new basement in front of the big new TV.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Sony Model Number: KDL-46W300046" BRAVIA® W series LCD Flat Panel HDTV

Model Number: KDL-46W300046" BRAVIA® W series LCD Flat Panel HDTV

Want to buy this TV cheap I have had it 2 months everything is perfect except Hockey , I think I will sell it and replace it with another DLP. I have a 61 Samsung DLP which I love

Sushiman58
Steve

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PURSUITWA wrote:
But this is pretty funny
That is VERY funny!! I actually designed my basement layout with a recessed wall for a flat panel TV to mount with a console underneath it, but I also added an outlet with a data/cable jack to an adjoining wall so that if someone buys my house (someday) and has a rear projection TV they can set it up there instead.

This post edited by Scott1280 12:23 PM 12/26/2007

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Under $2000 uhh
Ok let me give this a try....
Looks like your pretty set up and all you want to do is watch TV only. Not big on the Top end sound department but gets you get by with a decent sound...ok
Take a look at these models. You dont have to purchase them from the links provided, it's just to give you an example of what I am suggesting.
Samsung LNT4665F
This one is on sale right now and just makes it under your $2000 mark.
Specs:
Ratio 15000 to 1 ..

3 HDMI connector...plan for the future
1080P..Plan for the long future

8ms response time...not bad for games and it does have a game mode.

Sharp LC-46D64U
I have seen this model as low as $1499
contrast ratio 10,000:1 dynamic
4ms response time...NICE!!!!Gamers like this

1080p
3 HDMI

Dont want to hang it on the wall...take a look at this Projection TV

Sony KDS-55A3000

Samsung HL-T5687S

This post edited by Gaucho 12:55 PM 12/26/2007

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
surfeditor wrote:
Whatever you buy, don't let the salesman sell you a $100 HDMI cable. You can google "hdmi cable scam" for more info on that. I bought mine from monoprice.com for $6 each.

ding ding ding!!!!!!
Give that man a prize!!!!!!
He just saved you $$$$$$
I can second that.
HDMI cables

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks on the HDMI advice. I already had that one covered with monoprice.com.

On the sound side I have a Sony 5 speaker system I bought a few years ago that has dolby and great effects features. I've run greenfield from the 2-gang box for the TV cables to the soffit behind where our couch will go so I can run speaker wires to the rear speakers. So with all of that, I won't be relying on the TV alone for my sound quality.

We are also planning on a game console to go with the TV. Probably a Wii since I like the interactive features of the controllers and the family friendly sports games we can all play together as a family.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
Wii bowling on the big screen is way cool.

A big plus on the PS3 is that you can play BluRay HD DVD's on it, but BluRay might go the way of Betamax.

Buy the optical or coaxial cable to run from your cable box to the Sony surround (if it has the audio input), the Dolby encoded sound is much better than the red/white left-right analog sound.

This post edited by jpd 02:46 PM 12/26/2007

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any price predictions? Do you think the after Christmas sales where they are trying to bump up their 2007 gross receipts are going to be better than the after new years sales or vice-versa?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Scott with the weak Holiday sales, I would expect sales to be better now than they will be for the next couple of months. Some stores are sitting on lots of inventory that they want/need ot move.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been researching the advice given here and see that I can get the Sharp Aquos LC46D64U from PC Richard for $1999 or the same model number from B&H to be delivered in January for $1,649.

However, there is a Sharp Aquos LC46D62U from 6th avenue electronics for $1,799 or the same model # from J&R for $1,499!! After going to the Sharp website it appears that the LC46D62U is the slightly larger/Heavier version of the LC46D64U. All the screen specs & refresh rates are the same.

I may go to PC Richard and see that they'll match because they do the interest free financing for 12 months thing. I can pay for it in cash at J&R if they can't get me into a 46" Aquos for J&R's price, but if I can use their money for a year for free and then pay it off, why not. I did that with my Dell. Nice to use someone else's money for free.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
reelfisher wrote:
Scott with the weak Holiday sales, I would expect sales to be better now than they will be for the next couple of months. Some stores are sitting on lots of inventory that they want/need ot move.
I know I'm a little slow, but that was a little confusing. Sounds like you think NOW is the better time to buy?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I bought a 46" sharp 46d64u on sale at Best Buy for $1399 on sale from $2100 the day after black friday... only problem is they STILL haven't delivered the TV!!! Driving me crazy, they've pushed back the delivery date 3 times and I've spoken to several managers/corporate customer relations people. Not very happy with Best Buy right now. But regarding pricing I would bet that if they went that low already they'll go that low again. Thankfully my HDMI cables are still in the package so I can return those.

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
jpd wrote:
..... but BluRay might go the way of Betamax.

Thats what they are saying...to expensive to make and not much of a difference. But the consumer will either make it or break it.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.