NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
Just got back on Wen. from the sunny Fl. Keys. I stayed in Key Colony Beach which is right by Marathon and as promised here is a report.
First day ther I was invited for a fast reef trip on the Atlantic side. 50' of water aand you could see the bottom and the fish take your bait. This trip was only 2 hours total and netted a keeper grouper and some grunts for my son.
The charter I hired was Capt. Lee Lucas from First Love Charters. His web site is on marathonsportsfishing.com. We fished the Gulf side and Capt Lucas is the way to go. He runs a 25' Wellcraft and will get you into the fish. The first wreck was a little slow so he punched in his magical #'s and got us on another wreck. Then it was time to hold on as we got Spanish Mackeral on light gear. Penn 4500 with 10lb test and the lines where screaming. My 10 year old had a blast with these. Then all out of the blue came the Cobia and it was Dads turn. Med action r/r for a 35-40 lb fish. We used live bait for them. Smart fish, as soon as they get close to the boat they run off again, and when I say run I mean run. At least 3 run offs per fish. We had 3 keepers in about hour. The Capt was very aggressive fishing and had the patience of a saint while explaining the therory of light tackle fishing to the 2 boys who are 10 and 15. He amde it easy picking for all including my wife.
We aslo had on a large fish,(unknown type) but fought for about 20 minutes until going back to the debris pile and lost him. The 15 year old had that one and his arms where ready to fall off.
All In all it was probably one of the best 1/2 day trips I ever had. If you are interested go to his website and check it out, you won't be sorry.
I consider myself pretty aggresive as far as fishing goes but I couldn't hold a candle to this Capt. Any questions feel free to post or e-mail me.Name of the site [url]www.marathonsportsfishing.com

·
Registered
414 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! You are not going to believe this, but I too just came back from Key Colony Beach!! I was staying in Casa Clara if that means anything to you.

I went out twice on Sea Dog Charters. First day we went for Yellowtail but that was a little slow, so the captain moved to deeper water. Using live Grunts and also bucktails tipped with squid we had several hookups. I lost two (one broken line), but we landed two nice amberjacks (30 lbs and 25 lbs).
Went out in the pouring rain on the 31st and nailed nice yellowtail before the current really got flying and kept the baits up too high and the houndfish started hitting.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was there for the downpour also. when I went it was 78 degrees fishing in the gulf. From where I was staying we saw the boats going out in the rain. I was there from 12/26-1/2, rented a home through a real estate agent. The people who owned the home are from LI. I have his name and address if you are interested in renting. 2br, 2 bath all immenities with dock. 2 families rented the home and we had plenty of room and privacy. All yours for $1050 a week. The owner used to run snug harbour in Montauk. My e-mail is [email protected] if you need any more info. Great guy. he just bought a 31 Interpid with twin 225 Yamaha's 4 stroke. Got a ride but still breaking it in. 4700RPM's got 40MPH. Max RPM is 6100. YAHOOOOO!!!
What a ride!!! Casa Clara is a condo I think? I stayed on third St at the beginning of the canal. ABSOLUTLEY BEAUTIFUL. What a view.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not to turn this into a private conversation, but I was at my mothers place down there. Ironically enough, I do most of my fishing out of Greenport, LI. Small world huh?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes to small. I am out of Patchouge, although I do put my boat out in Gone Fishin Marina in Montauk, which is also a nice place. This was my first trip to the Keys and I am sure it will not be my last. The info I posted about rentals is probably the way to go unless you have a situation like yours. Did you go to the Cabana Club or does the condo have pool rights? The one thing about fishing there is that there is so many types of fishing to do. The reef trips are nice because of being so close and the variety of fish to catch. Hope to see you down there someday. I'll keep my eyes open for more post. Tight Lines to all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.