NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about fixing a stress fracture that goes right through the fiberglass on the deck of my boat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You need to find out what is causing the crack in the first place, fix that, then fix your broken deck. Otherwise your repair will only be cosmetic and will quickly fail. It is most likely being cause by a rotten member or separation of deck to stinger or stringer to hull joints. Maybe both.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with the 1st comment that you need to find out why stress fractures are occurring and correct that. Stress fractures will occur on almost all boats with age – usually its only the gelcoat that fractures as the glass flexes. The only way to fix them is to grind the gel coat down to the glass and fill with gelcoat. Color matching is tricky for the gelcoat. I must assume that you have white gel coat but there are a hundred shades of white. The best way to color match is to mix up a fair sized portion of white tinted gelcoat (enough to do the job.) Then take a 2 small portion of the white gelcoat you just mixed and separate to 2 smaller piles. Add a trace amount of Brown tint to 1 pile and a trace amount of Yellow tint to the other pile. Use these 2 piles to tint your main pile of white gelcoat. If you try to add the yellow or brown tint to your main pile – it’s too much tint for the white and you will need to add a lot of white tint back to the main pile to compensate. Fill your stress cracks leaving the gelcoat raised over the original gelcoat. Grind flush and then wet sand with 220, 400, 800 and then polish.
Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.