NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al,

Boy, sounds like when the pro's get together they can't miss.(In ref to your fishing trip with the boys from the western sound)

Well it's not beneath me to beg for details.

You mentioned both LNB and Manhassett bays.......where did you bait fish for the big boys and where did you catch the schoolies?
Anything else you can add ?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
anthonyale wrote:
…Boy, sounds like when the pro's get together they can't miss.(In ref to your fishing trip with the boys from the western sound) Well it's not beneath me to beg for details.
You mentioned both LNB and Manhassett bays.......where did you bait fish for the big boys and where did you catch the schoolies? Anything else you can add ?

No problem… For those who are not aware of my report… Here it is.

"This past Friday morning I teamed with buddy Phil and Rich from R&G bait along the Manhasset / LNB grounds. Temp: 30 degrees Wind: NNW 8 knots Water temp: 42-44 degrees Tide:First few hours of Ebb. Method... Chunked fresh bunker for the first hour and nailed several bass up to 38" - 24 lbs. Afterwards we worked the lightackle (drifted 4-7 ft. water depth) with plastics and tallied 84 Stripers (Schoolies) throughout the ebb tide!"

Now let me try to be a bit more specific. First of all… Rich from R&G is a seasoned veteran in the LNB / Manhassett waters and he fishes a lot! The past few years we've been pounding those stretches of waters (early spring) with great results and it's no secret that's the first body of fish (From the Hudson River) stops here.

where did you bait fish for the big boys and where did you catch the schoolies? b]
That's a legitimate question and I will answer that without any reservation. OK, the previous days there were sporadic pods of bunker visible not far from the Shop! Sure enough, next day we set our clocks early (High tide / Dark - first light) and started chunking along that stretch and sure enough… the fish were there! By the time the first light peeked… the fish moved deeper and got finicky! As soon as that happened… We cranked the engine and started to work along the banks by tossing surface lures (poppers), swimmers and plastics. Once we found the pattern … we let the current and wind (NNW) drift along... and coincidentally following the body of fish! The pattern was the 5" paddle tail plastics in the chartreuse and all pearly white! The 5" swimming plugs (Cotton Codel and Mega lure). By the end of the ebb tide (low slack)… the fish scattered and we decided to head back!

Now let me ask you a few questions and see what you found…

1) Why do you think was the "KEY" to our success?
2) Is it the observation (scouting)?
3) The presentation?
4) The tide?
5) Is it Luck?
6) Can you explain our theory?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think "scouting" out the bait had alot to do with it......also the "key" seems to have been fishing before 1st light for the big boys.
Another "key" was taking advantage of the wind and tide to drift "with" the schoolies.
In a nutshell.....knowing where the fish are and when.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wader wrote:
Right place @ the right time...

Wader,
That may be true… but are you saying being there at the right place @ right time is luck? Please explain because I am curious what you are thinking. :)

Spacegh8st wrote:
I think the secret to your success is that you speak "Striper"

Hmmm…. This is an interesting comment that I don't think I need to respond. Just wondering… Are you getting your fishing arsenal ready?

anthonyale wrote:
I think "scouting" out the bait had alot to do with it......also the "key" seems to have been fishing before 1st light for the big boys. Another "key" was taking advantage of the wind and tide to drift "with" the schoolies. In a nutshell.....knowing where the fish are and when.

Anthonyale

You hit it on the head! Scouting has a lot to do with it… Here are some of our thougts before we ventured out… There was large bait (bunker) in the area and that was the key to find the bigger fish. Also… the best time to ambush those big fish is to strike during the dark -First light!

As far as tracking down the schoolies… we had to drift around until we found the body of fish! Casting around and working each water column (top, mid and bottom) was key to homing down the feeding zone!

Now…. Let me ask you this… What do you think about the tide and the water temperature? How much do you think that had to do with it?

Anybody want to take a crack at this?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Alberto.......The office is real quiet today....I'll play.

This being the early part of the season I wouldsay that the ebb would offer thw warmer water and the fish are keen to that right now. Also often it is the outgoing when the bait is flushed from backwater areas and that's when the fish look to ambush them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Al,
Fish can be caught at just about any tide, but to get a consistant bite stripers should be fished during the moving tides. I have noticed that the majority of my bass have been caught within 2hrs before hightide to 2hrs after. The fastest moving current usually sends bait fish right into the bass. I feel that bass will be where the dinner is...so follow the bait fish, but w/out structure there is no place for the bait to hide, or the bass to hide, inorder to ambush their quarry. Last year a bass fisherman in Stony Brook (surfcaster) told me that is why they are called tide runners. i don't really know if this is true..Water temp is important in the spring b/c bass tend to stay in the warmer (above 50degrees) water, to keep in contact w/baitfish. So probably in the hot summer months bass tend to run deep when the heat of the mornings set in & surface at night when it is cooler. This whole thing get confusing, but like it was said...learn to be the Striper.....

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Crazy - by right place @ the right time I meant that you can have all the fishing expertise in the world- but if the fish ain't there - you not going to catch them.

The day you went out they were there - it helped that you also saw signs that they were there & varied your technic to maxumize your catch. That's the experience coming into play.

No refection on your abilities implied or meant. Just a simple statement.

You asked what the key was to your success - the fish were there - hence - right place @ the right time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.