NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!! I have been fishing the south shore area for years but always with fresh bait. Every now and then I would throw out a tin when need be. My problem...I never took the time to experiment with plugs or lures. I have always read about how explosive striper hits are when using surface plugs but, yet and still, I could never seem to venture from the norm.

So I turn to you... Can you guys give me any information as to how to start out. I fish with a Penn 706Z on a St Croix 10ft graphite rod.

To the guys who help make this the greatest surf casting board I've ever joined... I Thank You In Advance.

·
Registered
958 Posts
hi...im just getting into lures myself..i used to be a bait fisherman and am suprised at how well lures work..i like to use my 6'6" or 7 foot poles (shimano combo) and put powerpro on the end. i went to the sports authority and spent like 200 dollars on lures..its a lot of fun, esp at night when the bait shops are closed! i usually throw out my 10 foot surf rod with bait on it and then plug with the smaller one.. your rod seems too big to cast 500 times an afternoon..a nice 6 or 7 foot pole with ultra thin line is a good start

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wow Thats a question to write a book about. I would begin by getting bucktails in many different sizes. 3/8oz-3oz. Go with standard white. Metal lips,pencil pops,polaris pops,darters,bottel plugs,rubber-like sassy shads&slug-os,swimmers like bomber,and redfins,and needle fish,are among the many that all have there place. Conditions,conditions,conditions.With out going on and on theeeeee most important thing when plug fishing is always keep in contact with your plug. If you dont know where it is your not working it properly.If your not working it properly your chances of success will be extremely low. Good luck!
Bill Wetzel NYS Licensed Guide

·
Registered
410 Posts
plugs....surf

Yeah, what Bill said
But let me add........
If your new to pluggin its
very important to be confident your offerings
will in fact catch fish.
Get a few polaris type poppers. A floater would be good also a kastmaster is a must.Open beach front at dawn & dusk will produce results.
START WITH A FEW, IT WONT TAKE LONG TILL YOU GROW IN
CONFIDENCE...THEN WHATCH OUT YOUR A PLUG GUY FOR LIFE.

·
Registered
44 Posts
seem's like evryone is setting you off in the right direction. i fish bait too, but nothing feel's better than standing in the water pitch black out,and working a swimmer in the surf. when that striper hits, he jolt's you with evrything he's got!! just remember to work your swimmer at night very,very,very slow.if things are slow try attaching a teaser 2-3ft above your plug. it took me awhile to get used to working a lure so slow but it will produce. good luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
getting started

bucktails are probably the most effective artificial lure for a surfcaster , but also require the most skill.

best lure to start out with is a 6" bomber (you already have tin experience), in either a blue flash color or yellow/white. i say this because this plug imitates the majority of our baitfish, and the plug creates it's own action as you retrieve it. retrieve slooooowly for stripers, and faster for blues. fish it at night, around dawn and dusk, and cloudy days.

for topwater, the pencil popper is tops (no pun intended), but like the bucktail requires the most skill. better to start with a cup-faced popper, any color you want as long as the belly is white. make sure you get the floating model, so that you can try a variety of retrieves, from slow to slower. pop hard for blues, swoosh for bass.

with experience, you will learn tides,currents,structure,baitfish and add many other new lures to your bag of tricks. have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.