NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out three weeks ago .caught 17 pd striper on bunker,Opened him up to find two whole squid in his belly, any body know hoe to still fish whole squid.Joel

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Put the hook through the flat part of the tail about 2/3's of the way toward the body.

Only tried this once or twice - got some mighty strikes - but - lost the fish on all occasions. So maybe this isn't the best way to do it.

anybody else have any ideas?

This message was edited by wader on 12-5-01 @ 3:42 PM

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I make a rig for using whole squid for fluke in the ocean you might be able to use. Take a 8 inch length of wire and crimp a suitable hook on the end. Add 3-6 beads after the crimp and then slide the on a foam float (I use one a couple of inches long). The number of beads depends on the size of the float. Crimp the a loop in the other end.

Using a bait needle thread the rig up through the vent in the squid and come out the tip. The float gives the squid some body and keeps it off the bottom. Attach this rig to a three way, or a dropper loop, with a leader. I use a 12 inch mono leader with or without a spin and glow.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Boy - guess my idea was too simple. Figured it worked when tuna fishing this way - why not bass.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Boy - guess my idea was too simple. Figured it worked when tuna fishing this way - why not bass.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
I am just offering what I have tried. My father has always told me K.I.S.S. often works best.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Nothing wrong with - just rather elaborate - but - **** - if works - I say go with it.

OK - I'll bite K.I.S.S. ?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Hooking them through the mantle is fine, for fishing them alive, like we do in the canyons at night. Fishing dead squid whole I use a piece of wire. I attach the hook with a haywire twist and put a haywire on the other end, then attach to a snap swivel on the line. Put the hook through with a rigging needle and leave the hook dangling with the tentacles.

===MakoMike===

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.