NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go fishing for stripers at manhattan beach. I want to use eels. I also want to go according to the tide. Should i fish the out going tide or the incoming tide?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Great1,
It all depends on the specific location you are fishing! I believe the best time to fish an eel around Manhattan beach would be during the last two hours of any given tide. What I mean by that is simple? If you work the beachfront during the low water tides, look for small pockets and cuts. Also, if you work near the beach houses and jetties, your prime time would be around high tide.

Repetitive casting is a MUST and work it SLOWLY! At times these stretches can hold some very impressive cows.

Good Luck and be safe!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the helpful info. I did go fishing for stripers using eels and caught nothing. The day I went, the low tide was at 9:15pm and i started fishing at 6 pm. I went on a jetty near the tower of the college. I used a 3 way swivel rig like they use onn party boats for drifting. I just casted out and waited. What did i do wrong?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Great1 wrote:
I went on a jetty near the tower of the college. I used a 3 way swivel rig like they use on party boats for drifting. I just casted out and waited. What did i do wrong?

Well, for starters, the area you are fishing is definitely not deep enough for the 3-way swivel method! If you are fishing near the college waters? During the outgoing tide (water moving left to right) your best bet would be a simple eel without any sinkers. Try not to leave your eel still? You need cast and retrieve and ?swim? the eel as close to bottom as possible!

You will increase your catch ratio considerably!

Also, this time of the year, that area is abundant with mature bunker and chunking would be the better method. ;)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you're "casting out" from a jetty, more than likely you're throwing your bait right over the fish! Jettys attract fish, you;re better off casting PARALELL to the jetty. Bait gets flushed out of its hidey-hole on a dropping tide. 6:00 may have been too early. Try a tide that bottoms out at 12AM and start fishing at 9PM. If the lot to Manhattan Beach is closed, fish the rocks next to the park, or on the Sheepshead Bay side near the college. Some brave anglers work their way out the riprap next to the college all the way to the point!

Al gave you perfect advice regarding the drift rig (3-way). That's for boats!
No weight on the Eel, S-L-O-W retrieve. Just enough to keep the line tight.

The very best time to go fishing, is when you can!
If you find you must fish the incoming here, use chunks, a fishfinder, and fish the sandy beach. NOW you can practice your casting! No retrieve except to change your bait.

Flounder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.