NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Key West in two weeks. Just wondering if anyone had any good information on fishing the keys. Don't know whether I am going to do charter, guided or party boat trip. Checked out a couple of websites but I would like to here from someone elses tips and experience. All information greatly appreciated. Tight Lines!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lowtides,

I was down there about a month ago. The tarpon bite was just starting. Went on a night trip with SeaDog charters out of Marathon. We went under the 7 mile bridge. Had a couple on. I was a little disappointed with the charter although I still had fun. The tarpon bite must be ripping down there now! Have fun!!

FINATIC

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Lowtides,

I have friends that just got back from Key West (two weeks ago) and they informed me that the fishing is HOT! They had many 100 lbs. + tarpon, plenty of Jacks and Permit. This was via charter services and the night bite was also good.

Since you are not sure if you are going to charter, party boats or guided trips… It would be difficult to assist you (Do you have any preference?)… but you should be aware that this time of the month (May & June) is PRIME season along the "KEY" coast! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pwk, I went on Sea Dog a couple of times in December. I think I know what your disappointment was, but overall I thought they were a good value. They use two different boats. The morning boat was the older boat, the afternoon was the newer one.
We were also going for yellowtail instead of tarpon, so its a different type of fishing.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Strike 1 wrote:
...They use two different boats. The morning boat was the older boat, the afternoon was the newer one.
We were also going for yellowtail instead of tarpon, so its a different type of fishing.

Also, do they have bottom fishing trips?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Right now is the peak season for tarpon. If you can afford a guide, you can almost be assured of at least a couple of shots at a tarpon, if not many shots. I should mention that I don't particularly like the Key West party boats as they are tourist based and not usually very productive. The only exception to this would be an overnighter to the Dry Tortugas.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
414 Posts
Al, they were both going for the same thing. I went with them twice, both times starting out flat lining for yellowtail. The first trip was slow, so they moved us to deeper water, gave us different gear and we dropped down for Amberjack, Cuda's, etc.
As mentioned, that was around New Years though.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Marathon

I was there also around New Years and where the Sea Dog was in Marathon which is about an hour away from Key West.
If you do a search for Fl keys fishing there are many websites to look at. I did back bay out of duck key and we did well. There are all different ways to go down there but if you are thinking of chartering a boat I would start my research now.

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
Strike1. You are right about a good value! I was splitting the night trip with someone else who had already paid but didn't show so the trip only cost me $125! On the last tarpon which felt like the biggest the crew couldn't get the anchor off the bottom and I eventually lost the fish when it went under the bridge and we couldn't follow. They ended up cutting the anchor line a half hour later! If they were set up right they should have just tossed over a ball and went back after the fight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.