Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue
New York > South Fork
Fishing method
Surf

Sorry for the late post. Been really busy.

I had my chance to get out for the last time of the season on Saturday 12/30. As expected I was the first one on the jetty at 4:45AM. I wanted to be casting at first light. To my fortune when I got to my home spot I found Little to no wind, was blowing NNW...perfect to fish the right side of the jetty. But it was COLD!!! at 28 degrees. I threw my white tail until the sun came up. At like 5:30 a guy came but he snuck behind SG walking the beach to the other side. Last time I was there a Spanish guy told me that's how and where his family fish for stripers at.

Then this Russian guy came and told me yesterday (Friday) afternoon was hot and that's why he came back today. He said he caught like three 20" schoolies on a 4" shad. So we fished together. The birds were working in the same spot my father and I saw them working when we were on the Brooklyn IV last week. About 2 miles into the channel. Two boats stayed over them for two hours.

Back to me and the Russian. We fished together after the sun came up. He started mimicking me lol. I was throwing jigs all morning. He was faithful to his shad but when I cast on the left he would do the same three cast latter, I cast to the right he would do the same...I must've looked like I knew what I was doing lol. At about 9am he started getting hits. Then he lands a 20" fish then a second. At this point I said if he gets one more I'm casting my shad. After he landed #4 I said let me give it a shot. At 9:30 I switched to my shad and did one of the slowest retrieval I ever did and BAM! Fish on!!! My first fish on my new surf set up and it felt good. Now I was faced with the decision leave or stay and try and get a few more. The Russian was on fish number 6 by this time. So I stayed until 10:30 but no more schoolies for me lol

The end of the season and it was the best. I landed my first striped bass on the last boat (Brooklyn IV) trip of the season, and landed my first striped bass in the surf on my last surf trip. Not bad at all. Hopes are high for next season to land my first keepers.

<like href="http://www.noreast.com/postedreports/view.cfm?id=169179" send="false" show_faces="false" width='layout="button_count"'></like>

Sky Astronomical object Horizon Midnight Science

Waiting for the sun to come up

Water Sky Cloud Afterglow Fluid

Nice shot of first light

Fin Sailfish Fish Electric blue Marine biology

My first striper in the surf (15" C&R)

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.