NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be going down to the fla. keys feb 22 on FLA FISHFINDER .is there any problem with bringing my poles down as luggage in the proper case thanx. jj

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
Keep the case under 7' ..Over 7' will cost the extra 50..I go all the time & have some 6'6" rod just for the keys..
I fished that boat two years ago nice time good food..Try to fish the bow & the snapper bite is better at night..If you can get a bunk in the bottom cabin..Good Luck..

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to check with the specific airline website as they all have different rules. Once you find the regulations on the web make sure you print them and bring them with you as most of the people checking you in have no clue and will make up the rules as they go.

I just flew from Boston to Key West and checked on a large Plano rod tube that was under 6ft for free both ways on American Airlines.

Good Luck

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
I've mailed by stuff down ahead of time. Large 4ft mailing tubes can handle a couple of two piece rods. Reels were boxed and mailed. I insured them too just in case.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There could be more of a problem with the reels than the rods if you intend to carry-on as opposed to putting them in the checked luggage.
At times TSA will not allow you to bring reels with line on them as carry-on.

jdemidio wrote:
i will be going down to the fla. keys feb 22 on FLA FISHFINDER .is there any problem with bringing my poles down as luggage in the proper case thanx. jj

·
Registered
163 Posts
fish4me wrote:
I've mailed by stuff down ahead of time. Large 4ft mailing tubes can handle a couple of two piece rods. Reels were boxed and mailed. I insured them too just in case.

That is the only way I travel with my rods and reels ;) Fed Ex overnight and insured. Yes it can be expensive but when you are talking about a couple thousand dollars of gear its worth it. :) Tight lines.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
It depends on which airline you use.
I heard Southwest airline has the toughtest policy.
When I had a 7' rod case, the lady a the check-in counter measured the length of thr rod case and didn't say anything.
American Airline still don't bother with the rod case longer than 7'.
On my last two trips, I brought two-pieces rod in less than 4' length as carry-on on Jet Blue and Continental without any problem.
I used the custom butt joined rods for tuna and grouper and I didn't feel any difference from one piece rods. I am going to bring two-piece rods for all my future trips.

You don't have any problem to bring reels filled with lines in the US, but you might have problem overseas. The major airlines in NY areas don't even check your carry-on luggage with reels at check-in point anymore unless you have suspect items in the bag.

This post edited by KILSONG 10:11 AM 01/08/2008

·
Registered
87 Posts
2 pc rods

I've traveled several times with my two piece rods as carry on. I was told that the airline overhead compartments are designed to hold a pair of crutches, so any rod/rod case that doesn't come up above your armpit should be good.
-Chase

·
Registered
195 Posts
TSA checked me at JFK and wouldn't let the reels on the plane. I had to rush back and check in my carry-on.

KILSONG wrote:
It depends on which airline you use.

You don't have any problem to bring reels filled with lines in the US, but you might have problem overseas. The major airlines in NY areas don't even check your carry-on luggage with reels at check-in point anymore unless you have suspect items in the bag.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the last 2 yrs. i had a in with someone who worked at fedex,and there was no problem sending my poles down and fish back,i keep my reels in my carry on.this yr.imay have to ck them in!thanx for the help,i will call airlines and make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.