NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of fishing line should i spool on my tuna rods. What is the difference between braided line, mono and fluro carbon and which one is preferred. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
803 Posts
What type of Tuna are you targeting ? What size reels ? Troll or Chunk ? Do you want to have a little more fun with a lighter tackle like Capt. Tred ,or do you want to muscle them in. In general, braids are not used, mono is, I use 50lb Mamoi for everything on Penn 15KGs(there are many fine quality and less expensive 40 and 50lb tests out there) I mainly fish out to 40 miles off max on my boat so most of my fish are generally smaller than those caught at the Canyons although many large and prestigious fish are caught each season at the tower, bicardi, and the 30 to 40 fathom wrecks. The boat I crew on for Canyon trips ang Nantucket Giant trips uses 50s , 80s, and 120s all with Mamoi. Flouro is used as a leader for chunking (line shy) Again, Figure out what you are targeting and how youre going to catch it. By the way with my rigs on the troll my bars,chains lures etc.. are all rigged with much heavier mono leaders to 150 or 200 wind-on leaders.Although my boat doesn't have Canyon range I'm still go out hoping and prepared for a that oncw a season inshore Marlin, Sword or Big-Eye.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
John,
I fish inshore also(within 40 miles).I spool up my reels with 50lb big game on my 30lb class rods and 30lb big game on my smaller rods.I always troll with lever drag reels and never had a break off,as long as your drags are set properly.Fluorocarbon is used on the chunk and is very expensive.Blue eyes said it all,canyon fishing,the Bacardi and the tower I would fish with a minimum of 50lb class rod setups with 80lb tackle and up.Fish can be alot bigger out there.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
John,
I fish inshore also(within 40 miles).I spool up my reels with 50lb big game on my 30lb class rods and 30lb big game on my smaller rods.I always troll with lever drag reels and never had a break off,as long as your drags are set properly.Fluorocarbon is used on the chunk and is very expensive.Blue eyes said it all,canyon fishing,the Bacardi and the tower I would fish with a minimum of 50lb class rod setups with 80lb tackle and up.Fish can be alot bigger out there.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
John,

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can pack a lot of braid or dacron on a reel because of its small diameter. Put on a topshot of mono (100yds) and you have greatly increased your reel capacity. This may save the day when a trophy tuna or shark hits. Connect the braid to the mono with a nail knot. I use Ande or Trilene Big Game mono.

Tight lines, Sawbelly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.