NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get what everyone is using for blackfishing and sea bass?

This season I was using 40# mono on one reel and 65# Power Pro on the other.

I think I could have gone lighter than 40lb mono, sometimes felt too big. The Power Pro was really great, just sometimes worried about my rod since it was only rated to 60#.....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
JMC,

I use two different lines for seabass and blackfish. On occasion I will use my seabass rod for blackfish, when the fish are small and the water shallow. Anyway, for blackfish I typically use 50 pound Power Pro with about 10 feet of 50 pound mono spliced in at the end to allow for a little bit of stretch. For seabass I typically fish 20 pound mono and do just fine with it. The only exception would be when I fish the offshore seabass trips and then I fish a much heavier rod. There will always be conditions that dictate heavier or lighter tackle, but this is what I use about 80% of the time.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spoke to an uncle and he said that for blackfishing, he likes to use 50lb Big Game... Isn't 50 a little big?? But hey, if you catch with it, stick with it....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.