NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Islamorada, FL

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Fishing Friend 
#1 ·
I'm planning a fishing trip to the Keys in Mid-January. Can anyone recommend a guide for Back Country fishing? If you had only a weekend to fish in Islamorada, would you opt for back country or deep sea? Deep sea seems pretty expensive, whereas back country seems to be almost a guarantee of catching fish, even if it's snapper, small sharks and barracuda.

Any recommendations on who to fish with, where to stay, and what else to do is very much appreciated.

surfswell@aol.com

#3 ·
surfswell,
I fish with greg poland who lives and fish's outta of islamorada. Ive been fishing with him for the past four years and he's one of the better guides in the keys. You may have a tough time getting a booking on short notice. I Book a year in advance with him. As far as places to stay i stay in cheeca lodge this is the greatest place. They treat you like a king and the accomdations are awesome. The plus to this place is they have a fishing dock 300 yds away from the hotel. Alot of times you will catch tarpon there at night on live bait. From the dock ive caught bonefish permit tarpon every kind of shark you can think of jacks ladyfish spanish mackreal porgies all kinds of snappers grunts pinfish cudda i can go on for hours. As far as party boats go theres tons of them down there but my favorite is robbies. As far as things to do theres too many things to do but i would suggest spending a day in keywest. If you cant book greg you should go to holday isle or robbies where theres tons of flats guides and offshore captians. Hope this helps. Chris

#5 ·
One thing to keep in mind when planning a charter in January-it's tournament time and many boats are booked. I'm headed there on the 8th, but secured a boat back in October knowing that the Holiday Isle Sailfish Tournament was that week. I fish primarily out of Worldwide, but on this trip, the boat is out of Whale Harbor. The word is that the offshore (LOL-they're fishing 5 miles out) game is in play, but the flats are quiet. I'm fishing two days offshore and changed my flats day to a wreck trip.

#6 ·
Mahi Mahi may be right. My flats fishing trip wasn't the fantasy land that I had envisioned from watching the shows on the ESPN. Your right because you at least can throw out cut bait and catch sharks which go berserk on the light tackle. In the winter the offshore (you can see the boats trolling for tuna,wahoo, etc. from your hotel window lol) seems to be consistent. Like mentioned sailfish is the big draw but one day the catch may be a mess of dolphin, the next wahoo, or king mackerel...live baiting blackfin tuna is a strong possibilty. Islamorada was made for people like us. P.S. If your stuck because everyone is booked jump on an "open" charter and share the expense with four or so strangers to charter a boat (awesome machines down there/ many are from Montauk!!). Otherwise you would ring up some tab for your trip to charter it yourself. I envy you. Enjoy!!

#7 ·
Islamorada

Thanks guys for your advice. I've been calling around, and it seems like the backcountry/flats fishing is hit or miss. The great thing about back country charters is that they're a bit cheaper. When you guys charter a deep sea, are you kicking out the $800 plus tip? I'll have 2 other guys with me, but still - it's pretty steep! One other option is going on a party boat, and it's one I'll keep in mind. The Daybreaker is a bit cheaper, but he's booked on the day we want to fish! Plus, I'll be down there the weekend following, again, so it could be a pretty large outlay of cash! This doesn't mix well with my future wife (it's starting already!).

Any advice for this eager but frugal fisherman is welcomed. (anyone want to join us?!?!).

Thanks- and a happy,healthy and prosperous new year to you all (filled with LOTS of keeper bass!).

kt

#8 ·
Try some reef/wreck fishing, lots of fun a little less expensive, but it also gives you lots of alternatives. If the wind blows from the ocean you can go inside and fish Spanish Macks or Snook or Tarpon on the inside of the bridges. Sharks and Cuda can also save the day when nothing else is happening or weather is not cooperating. A big Cuda off the flats inside the bridges ( especially up past Robbies ) on a 10 pound spinning rig can be a lot of fun. Just throw a tube lure or something like a swimmer with the lip broken off and reel as fast as you can !
The great thing about the area is that there is always some kind of action to be had. You can also rent a boat and go yourself out along the edge of the reef and chum up all sorts of things ( chum is the key to most fishing down there ).
For Back Country try Geoff Colmes out of Papa Joes or Ed Cale out of Bud and Mary's, both good guys who will put you onto fish if there are any back there, January can be tricky in the back country.

#10 ·
Islamarada fishing

I have a great time fishing on the reef for bottomfish. Just go out and look for the dark spots in the water and drift all day. You catch a wide variety of fish and their really colorful. Most of the fish are porgie size. The fishing is nonstop, the bottom is paved with fish. I fish on the reef when its a little too rough on the ocean.
Last January, the sailfishing was the best in a long time. I was fishing alongside boats that were catching them nonstop, all day. Right on the edge of the reef before the dropoff. Hope the sailfishing is good this year to. This was out Islamarada.
The only thing I don't want is north winds. When it blows from the north , the fishing slows. Especially Tarpon fishing.

#12 ·
Chum, chum and more chum, and bring some hair hooks. At some point while chumming around the reef you will probably attract a school of ballyhoo, put some very small pieces of cut shrimp on the hair hook with a split shot on the line and cast to the ballyhoo. Once you have a few hoo, slow ( very,very slow ) troll them along the edge of the reef for sails. If no sails or the hoo die, fish them deeper for kingfish.

#13 ·
Jackie McGuire used to own a 65 foot partboat out of freeport called the capt. jack. he has moved to islamorada and has been running a small boat there. also, there is a boat out of montauk that spends its winters there.....can't think of the name for the boat but will get back to you.. good luck!

#14 ·
When your down there be sure to stop at a place called the Hog Heaven Inn. Get one of thier sandwiches and you'll love it. I had a sandwhich with some ground beef mixed with some special spicy sauce, and I an honestly say it was one of the best if not THE best sandwhich I ever ate.

Other than that, try the many charter boats out there or one the local head boat.

Next January/February I will trailer my boat down there and spend about a week.

#16 ·
Islamorada

FYI -Just finished a big dinner, we ate the piles of yellowtail and grouper we caught aboard the daybreaker with Captain Mike Brumm who fishes on a smaller version of his Montauk charter boat Daybreaker, also had fun catching spainish mackeral in Florida Bay -the boat only takes four, but the price is reasonable, sailfish not now in full swing. Key Latern Motel is the best deal in town, but book early. Brumm is docked at World Wide Sportsman

#18 ·
Capt Mike was booked on the day I wanted to fish (there's a tournament). I went ahead and booked Capt. Rob Dixon on the Challenger out of Whale Harbor (http://www.challengercharters.com/). Nice guy, knows his stuff, very accommodating. Hopefully he'll put us on some fish!

Since I'll be in the Miami area for 2 weeks, I just roped a fellow co-worker and world class fly fisherman into heading back to the keys the following weekend for some back country fishing. This is costing me an arm and a leg! Well worth it though!

kt

#19 ·
I HAVE FISHED OUT OF WORLD WIDE SPORTSMAN A BUNCH OF TIMES WITH MIKE BRUMM'S DAYBREAKER, HE IS OUT OF MONTAUK IN THE SUMMER, HE RUNS A 28" FOOTER DOWN THERE THAT CAN FISH THE BACK COUNTRY OR OFF-SHORE. IT IS A GOOD HEDGE AGAINST THE WIND, WHICH SEEMS TO FOLLOW ME EVERYWHERE. HE CAN TAKE YOU OFF SHORE FOR SAILS, MAHI ETC, OR REEF FISHING FOR GRUPPER,KINGS,SPANISH MACKS WHAT HAVE YOU. OR IF ITS BLOWING REAL BAD GOING IN THE BACK COUNTRY FOR WHATEVER CAN BE CAUGHT. IF THE REAL SKINNY WATER STUFF IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, THEN YOU BETTER GET SOMEBODY WITH A FLATS BOAT. BUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEBODY THAT CAN FISH BOTH SIDES, THEN GIVE CAPT. MIKE A CALL. I THINK HE CHARGES AROUND $400 A DAY FOR OFF SHORE, WHICH IS CHEAPER THAN MOST. AND IF YOU WANT TO KEEP FISH FOR THE FREEZER ITS YOURS, A BUNCH OF THE GUIDES OUT OF BUD AND MARRYS ALLOW YOU TO PAY TO CATCH THEIR FISH!

#20 ·
Dogfish,

I agree. Have fished many different boats down there, but the thing about fishing from a boat like Mike Brumms is that you have all options open no matter what the wind does, also if one type of fishing isn't going well, you can just try something else. Sailfishing is great fun, but if they aren't active, towing around a bait can get old fast. With the smaller boat you can jump from one type of fishing to another pretty easily. If it gets sloppy on the reef, you can run in on the other side and still catch some decent fish. Maybe instead of Daybreaker he should call the boat Daysaver !
Besides, Mike is a great guy and a pleasure to fish with.

Attachments

#21 ·
THE KEYS

I HAVE FISHED A BUNCH OF TIMES OUT OF WORLD WIDE SPORTSMAN WITH MIKE BRUMM'S DAYBREAKER. HE RUNS A BOAT OUT OF MONTAUK IN THE SUMMER, DOWN THERE HE HAS A 28" CC. THE GOOD THING IS HE CAN GO EITHER DIRECTION. THE BAY SIDE OR OFFSHORE. THIS IS A GOOD BET AGAINST THE WIND, WHICH SEEMS TO FOLLOW ME ON EVERY TRIP. HE CAN TAKE YOU OFFSHORE FOR SAILS, MAHI, KINGS ETC., OR TO THE REEF FOR GRUPPER, YELLOW TAILS AND SPANISH MACKS. OR, IF ITS BLOWING, HE WILL GO TO THE BAY SIDE FOR TARPON, SHARKS, SEA TROUT ETC. ALSO HE ONLY CHARGES AROUND $400 WHICH IS A GOOD DEAL. GIVE HIM A CALL.

#23 ·
Last week

Returned on Sunday from a short vacation in the Keys. Fished 1/9 on the Bounty Hunter with Capt. Mick Clements out of Whale Harbor. Weather was a bit cool and absolutley no wind (tough wind conditions for sails). Managed to raise 7 sails and hook up on 4-also boated a 35 lbs Wahoo. All in all, a slower than average day.

The sail bite in Key West had been frantic until 1/9. A boat went 11/14 on sails the day before our arrival. Fished 1/10 with Capt. Tony Murphy. After slaughering the bait at the Marquesas, we headed for the End of the Table. Hooked two nice kings within minutes. Hit some bonito, and then managed two nice hoos (50 and 45 lbs). Spent the rest of the day on ceros, spanish macs, amber jacks, yellowtail, yellow jacks. A great day on the water.

#24 ·
perhaps worth noting.....seems that the bait had been stacked up in Key West, but moved out just before our trip (heading north towards Marathon). The sails were following on their heels. As mentioned above, the bite in Islamorada was slow. The day we were out, we had a tough time locating bait. We spent the better part of 2 hours scrounging around for ballyhoo. No speedos or hardtails to be found. Perhaps by now the bait is closer to Islamorada. Good luck to those that are lucky enough to get out of the frozen north. I'll be heading down again in Feb and March.

For those that were asking about the costs: The trip out of Whale Harbor was 750 plus tip to the mate=900; and Key Wet was 650.

#26 ·
Fishing Report from Islamorada

Fished the weekend here in Islamorada. Went out on Saturday on the Miss Tradewinds out of Whale Harbour. Decent party boat, only caught some small snapper although a few caught good sized grouper. EXTREMELY cold, so we pretty much just fished out a few spots and returned home. The half day was $33. Chartered the Challenger, captained by Rob Dixon out of Whale Harbor. GREAT BOAT. Captain Rob is efficient and knows exactly where, when and how to get you into fish. Great attitude and personality, beautiful boat with a nice cabin (good if you take kids or wife). Mate Chris was sharp, professional and hard working - not one of thes 2-brain celled cretins like I had last time. What did we catch? Three NICE sailfish (I'll post pics when I get home). Great time, beautiful fish, nice fights. Once again it was COOLLDDD and snotty out there. Hurled my breakfast, but managed to keep fighting fish! Definitely got banged up - not a trip for the weak! $850 for a full day.

I stayed at Ocean Pointe in Tavernier. Decent place, $130/night. It's rental condos, not a hotel. One bedroom and pull out couch, nicely equipped efficiency. 10 minute ride to Islamorada. Thumbs up!

Night life - definitely hit Woody's, Chilli Willies, and Hogs Heaven.

Thanks for all your help on making this trip a great one. Contact me with any specific questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.