NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alberto:

I was thinking about buying a canoe to fish the bay. My budget is a bit tight to buy a larger boat, which was my desire, however I found a canoe at Sports authority well within my limits. I was wondering Do you think a canoe will be a good idea for the bay? I know that there are a growing number of fishermen using kayaks now but I don't feel safe in a Kayak. I would appreciate some advice on the matter.

Polo

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've owned canoes for years and I dont recomend them for the bay. A kayak is a lot more stable because your center of gravity is a lot lower, also should you catch a wake or have conditions deteriorate the deck and ****pit skirt will prevent you from shipping water.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Spygull is right. I now have a dual console outboard, but still have both my 12' wide beam canoe and a 12' Portabote.
(The Portabote is a folding rowboat that you can hang a small outboard on, over a grand new.) If you are fishing sheltered bay waters, the Portabote is dry. It supposedly can handle a bay chop, but hey, a 12' rowboat is a 12' rowboat. I would never use it in the state channel. As for my canoe which I use in local lakes, I have taken it to the EDGE of the bay from the Grand Canal in Massapequa. Turning around in a 12 knot driven chop becomes an adventure.
(I wouldn't bring my best gear!) Kayaks seem much faster against the tide.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I fished in LI Sound for a while from canoes. They're great for space and stability and the even little solo could handle boat wakes and waves and cover distance ok. It was the WIND that finally made me a kayaker.
Jim

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Don't Bother. -Buy a Sea Kayack instead

Canoes tip.

Canoes are noisy.

Canoes don't hold a straight course.

Canoes fill with water too easily.

Canoes take four times the effort to propel.

Canoes are usually heavier.

Buy a Sea Kayak instead.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fish4Fun,
I cringed when I started to read your post! I know exactly which canoe (Sports Authority / Green Canoe) you are reffering to…. But I believe that design is suitable for "freshwater" only!

Also, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CANOEING ALONG THE SOUTH SHORES! I DON'T RECOMMEND IT BECAUSE OF THE OBVIOUS…! There are too many reasons NOT to and you will be gambling with your life!

Please take everyone's sage advice! The Kayak is a better choice and a lot safer! I personally have a canoe and a Kayak and it has its specific applications. I take my canoe for freshwater only… and my kayak is for fresh & salt!

So, have we changed your mind yet?:)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for opening my eyes

Thank you for opening my eyes guys. I was under the impression that the canoe will be safer. But now I am considering a kayak instead. I am particularly looking at the posibility of purchasing a "Cobra Fish and Dive Kayak" I hear is very roomy and very stable. Is there any other Model I could consider for the bay? I am looking for stability and maybe the posibility to bring along a friend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Cobra Fish and Dive is really meant to carry a small second passenger like a child, not another adult. It is very stable if that is your primary concern. If you want something faster, consider the Cobra Explorer or Navigator. Goodluck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Al, hope all is well. I had to add an S to my name as Noreaster requires 5 digits. I emailed Sergio about the mission. I never heard back so it must have vannished in cyberspace. I'll write again. I was thinking fall when the Roosters would still be around and we'd still get WSB, etc.

fish4fun, I have assisted many people in getting into kayak fishing. Many were canoe owners who wanted to fish the salt, etc. The thing canoe owners talk about after using/gettig a yak is the stability, speed and fishability of a kayak. A proper kayak is a fantastic fishing vessel that is incredibly versatile.

As to a 2 person kayak, your best bet would be to look at the Malibu 2 from Ocean Kayak. It has a center seating position besides the 2 regular positions. That's the best option if you want to go with another adult. I, and most guys prefer 2 kayaks. Yes the FnD is very stable. So is the Malibu, the Drifter, the Pungo (Crazy Al has 2) and there are many others like the Ride. So take a look at them and if you have any questions hop over to the kayak fishing forum on this site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks JonSS:

I appreciate your comment. I have been setting aside some funds to purchase the canoe and now I am just going to shift to a kayak instead. In addition, Ive found a place in Sheepshead Bay where they rent kayaks and I am going to check if the have one of these FnD's I could rent to try it.
Polo

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello JonSS,
Thanks for chiming in pal! Your sage advises is always welcome! :)
Dunno what happened to our mission discussion… send me an email and let me know the details.
Thanks!

Hi Fish4Fun,
I am glad you changed your mind! Believe me, that's the right decision and I am sure you will have a great time with the kayak! Also… JonSS is right! He has a wealth of Kayak experience and he knows kayak!

Also… when you are searching/testing new kayaks… make sure you ask for the safety instructions!

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.