NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Cabo,
It depends on whether the fish are concentrated or scattered. If they're scattered you odds of finding them are much better with trolling.
Are you asking if overnighting at the canyon is safe? Sure is, just make sure to post a watch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cabo,

The troll bite has been pretty off the past two years, with the exception of albacore. Chunking over night is usually the most productive, daytime chunking can be tricky, especially when they'll only go near 40lb flourocarbon. Another daytime trick is to use a blue or black permanent marker and "paint" the line from hook up about 2 feet.

As far as safety is concerned, make sure you have a good EPIRB and a life raft, and last but not least, watch the weather.

Good Luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Grady.
I don't know where you've been fishing but we've been doing pretty well on the troll. Last year we had lots of yellows in the 40-90 pound range four pushing 200 along with five bigeyes all over 200. We also did well night chunking on several trips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MakoMike,

I fished the Hudson, The Fishtails and the Dip about 15 trips last year, you are the only person I've heard say the troll bite wasn't off. I don't recall any of your fish on any boards anywhere, 4 big allisons by one guy, 5 bigeyes over 200lbs, haven't heard of that in awhile, you ever think over becoming a pro. Sounds like one of the best fish stories I've heard in awhile. 25 years of Tuna fishing and yours is one of the best.

·
Banned
67 Posts
i did 9 canyon trips last year from the dip to atlantis....and i have to agree with grady the only good trolling was for albacore.as for night chunking it was hit or miss,and i didn't see any big eye taken and most yellows were 50-80 pounds.and being in montauk i see a lot that comes in.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Daytime chunking

I was considering running out to the texas tower this season for the daytime bight.Chunking is new to me,only did it on montauk charter boats.Done lots of trolling.Grady mentions going down to 40 lb fluorocarbon before fish would turn on.Is this true? I've done some reading and I've seen " stay away from clear line" and guys going down to 80 lb mono to get a bite going.Fish there range from 50 to 90 lbs.Any advice is helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
B.Attitude,

flourocarbon line is not clear in the water, it's next to invisible, it cuts down on transmitting light. 40lb is extreme, however during the day a few times last year, it was the only thing fish would go near. If you're going to chunk near the towers, make friends with one of the draggers out there, they have the best bait you're going to get, I personally would go the extra 13 miles to the tip, then again I don't know your fuel situation. 80lb mono is pretty heavy for chunking, we use 50 or 60 lb Jinkai or YoZuri Hybrid, prefer the Jinkai, seems tougher

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One time i went fishing for tuna in canyon during day time and i caught 5 tuna also i lost about 200lbs bluefin tuna. Also i went fishing for tuna during overnite and i did not catch anything!

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Grady,
I don't know if they've erased it for the new season yet, but if they haven't you can just check the board at Gone Fishing Marina. If they have erased it you can check the back issues of either noreast or the fisherman.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MakoMike,

I am at Gone Fishin for July and August every year, don't recall your miraculous catches. You sure your not Tred Barta? I noticed in another post you're overrunning the 700 line, that must be where you're doing this magic. 25-30 miles out? 700 line? Do you even own a rod and reel capable of more than fluke? Sorry to get this way, just can't stand BS, people are looking for sound advice, not here to read about your fantasy dreams

·
Banned
67 Posts
mako mike what is the name of your boat.......grady can then call TJ over at gone fishing and get the info from the head guy......also i would like to stay in touch with you on the water...you seem to outfish everyone i know in montauk.

·
Registered
525 Posts
YFT

Like the saying goes:

"You can't catch , what aint there".
As these pros all admit...do your homework and work hard. The harder you work , the more luck you get.

A great marine chart of your area.
A bunch of different marker pens.
A daily temp chart.
A another fishing boat for safety.

Trolling speed.
Trolling patterns.
Trolling lures.

Chunking equipment.
Chunking techniques.
Chunking tricks.

I don't know how experienced you are , but if you follow some basic rules , you will increase your hookup to catch ratio.

I like trolling , especially early season. The YFT haven't settled in yet to a particular area. That area will always be where the bait is. So they move aound a lot.
Using 14 + lures when the YFT are eating 6-10 inch bait will be counter productive.
Trolling to slow or to fast will be counter productive.
Putting the lures in the wrong place will.....
Mixing lures of different trolling speeds will....
Trolling in areas where they aren't likely to be will......
You get the picture.

Outline the depth contours on your chart in differnt colors(YFT highways).
Get a updated temp chart OR ask your friends where.
Learn where to put your lures in your wake. Each boat has it's own sweetspot , where 2 feet in either direction will make a difference.
Learn what speed is MOST productive for the sea conditions you encounter. Seas change , u must adapt.
Match the hatch for the day. If there eating 6 inch macks, then match the colors....etc.
Look for tide rips out there. Fish the warm side (Temp guage) in early season..colder side later in year , for YFT.
"NEVER LEAVE FISH TO CHASE FISH". When u find 'em, turn your radio DOWN !
HINT>>>>HINT>>>>>HINT>>>> O/cast days have payed off when I used darker colored lures.

Chunking is a heck more productuve when the YFT get up here and settle in for the season. They will stay with the bait schools as long the weather stays the same. Bait schools tend to hang around bottom structure(horizontal structure) and temp changes(vertical structure).
Daytime chunking is harder (more boats trolling and making noise and pulling your YFT away from you chunk line.
YFT will see your leader better. Hook size and placement , leader size and length and construction(Fluro vs mono) , sinker weight placement and position ,drift (over or around structure) swivel type (connection of leader to mainline) etc. I'll not take up much more of your time.
HINT>>>HINT>>>HINT>>>> Get silver sparkles from your craft sture. As u chunk your bait (BEFORE U LEAVE THE DOCK...SAFETY 1ST), mix the sparkles in with your chunks. The act as fsih scales when u dump o/side and attract deeper fish that would not normally come UP to your chunk line.MMMMMMMMMMMM

To the gentelmen who wacked the hXXX out of the tuna last year on the troll . I ask that if you have a free space on your trolling trips , please consider taking me along. You have done much better than I have and I'd love to watch and learn what you do.

To the originator of this discussion,
learn from a guy(s) who know what their doing. Hire a competent guide for day. One that will show you where your sweet spot is AT different speeds. who will show you how to rig different lures. Who will show you where to place them in your spread. Who will explain how and show you why differnt lures work better at differnt speeds. Who will show you HOW TO READ the water you travel over.

Sorry for this difficult compendium on
trolling and chunking. I'm on the wrong side of 60 and I'm still learning. I'm sure there are more knowledge able people out there who can explain all the different shades of trolling or chunking.(Wow , what a big sentence that was).

Keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
Joseph B. ...aka...Ancient Mariner
www.ancientmarinertackle.com

·
Registered
525 Posts
daytime chunkin

Hi all:
Out of all the different types of chunking , Daytime to me, is , was and continues to be the most difficult. I'm an "A" type person ,and I guess , it just goes against my grain. Patience was never my strong suit.
Some chunking hints. I'm sure they were covered in other places , but here goes anyhow.
Cut the hook baits tail off. that stops it spinning on strong current days.
Sow the gills closed so it doesn't flair and spin.
Check each box of butters. If the eyes are "RED" put it back ,'cause it's been thawed and RE-FROZEN. Not good.
Use sparkles as previously written.
Cut your chunks in diagonal. They twist on the way down, making your chunk line wider. It also flashes more and draws more tuna in.
Cut your chunks so u get 4-7 pieces. T'ze em , don't feed en.
Throw your chunks up wind. They spread out more.
Throw your chunks up high so they PLOP down , JUST like the dragger sounds when they SHOVEl their excess o/side.
Keep your weights painted flat back.
Keep your weights at least 12 feet from hook bait.
Their's tons more to learn , but that should start you out on the right track.
Go with a proven boat/fisherman to learn more and more tricks. I mean WORK not sit and hold a rod.
Keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
Joseph .B. ...aka...Ancient Mariner
www.ancientmarinertackle.com

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
No reason not to believe MakoMike

Grady of Salt, I'm not sure where you've been fishing, but MakoMike's report sounds pretty much in line with what I and most of my connections have been experiencing year after year on the troll. In addition to several BigEyes and countless yellowfins in the 75 to 100 lb class, we all have had the bonus of both white and blue marlin on the troll while targeting tuna.

Did you ever stop to think for a moment that maybe even the people you speak with at the dock are keeping the action quiet and low key??

And what if I told you that the best chunking trip we had last year, with over FORTY hookups of both YELLOWFIN and BLUEFIN, was during the DAY less then TWENTY FIVE miles from the shore? Will you say that my story is also BS just because you and nobody you know duplicated those results????

There is more to fishing than bragging at the dock and to the entire world about a fantastic catch. Lesson #1 in fishing is that the HOTTEST SECRETS are only secrets if YOU and MOST people don't know about them. the moment the whole world knows, they aren't secrets anymore.

Instead of shooting-down MakoMike, you should have been THANKING him!! He was sharing information, TRUE information, that could've helped you and some of the readers on this board wakeup and realize that the troll bite has been truly HOT. I was actually smiling from cheek to cheek when I read the first post that stated that the troll bite was off because the first thought that came to my mind was LESS COMPETITION attempting to troll if the rumor continued to spread! But I had to break my silence when I saw how closed-minded you were acting.

P.S. MakoMike- At this point I would not give them the satisfaction of supplying your boat's name. You have nothing to prove. I know you are always honest because many times your techniques/results match mine or some of my buddies' exactly.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I second that,Makomike has been giving loads of valuable information to less experience fisherman.I respect secrets,but I respect someone that shares them with us.
paulie

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Capt. Jack,
If you want to call TJ just tell him my name on this board, he'll know who you're talking about.

Paulie,
thanks for the support, it seems some guys think that just because they aren't catching fish, no one else is either :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.