NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish the Port Jeff area and would like to hear of any good spots in a ten mile radius to catch Strippers. Also any suggestions, tips, or methods you would care to share. I would really like to caught at least one keeper this year so any information would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

·
Registered
48 Posts
1) Swim live bunker (50lb. mono leader, single hook in back) around the rocks at oldfield, and cranes neck, early in mornimg late in evening or at night.
Good way to get some sammer blues also.

2) Slow troll sand worms at night along shore line marsh line of harbor.

3) If you find bunker being pushed in harbor by blues get some fresh chunks to the bottom.

3) Throw plugs, jigs in same areas if you prefer artificials.

4) There are some nice rips of cranes neck in 30 - 60 ft of water that hold bass. get some live bait down to them or bucktail them up along the dropoffs.

Waveguide on the side

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
OK guys give him a break!

If you're fishing from a boat I would try the jetty east of PT Jeff inlet on outgoing tide using a light spin setup with 1-2 sandworms on it.

Tie a long shank hook directly to your line and cast towards the jetty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feed back

That's the problem with a spell checker, just because a word is spelt right does not mean it's the one you want. Thanks to all those who replied, but I am in fact, looking for STRIPERS (I think I spelled it right this time).

·
Registered
1 Posts
What works best???

Putting in at Salisbury State, fished the incoming tide and then some for at least 8 hours. I noticed just about everyone was pulling in schoolies and getting some stady action. We didn't get a bite. Here is a few questions:
Tackle setup, what do you suggest?
Bait, we used fresh Herring, and some waits to counter the tide?
I fished many years from the beach thought all I need was a boat! Well now I need some guidance!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Pt Jeff Stripers

Salisbury State?? is that in Pt Jefferson?? Calmwater I've had some luck drifting along the shoreline in front of Mt Misery (east of the harbor entrance), alos if you have a depth finder take a ride out to buoy 11 and head due east, you will find the bottom drop off and then begin to rise 200' or so east of buoy 11. They have been jigging Bass on that hump in 40-45' of water on the outgoing. I chunked a keeper on Mackeral Saturday afternoon. Bass are there you just have to be in the right spot at the right time. Tight lines/safe returns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.