NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Not trying to get you into any trouble with any of your fishing buddies, partboats that you may go on, but I wonder if you could/would answer this question.

What with the continuation of the 17" fluke regulations, if you had a choice of going for fluke would you go to the Western Sound or from Sheepshead Bay boats. In other words, from those 2 choices - which area has a better chance to get more 17".

Thanks.

mudman

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mudman wrote:
Not trying to get you into any trouble with any of your fishing buddies, partboats that you may go on, but I wonder if you could/would answer this question.

What with the continuation of the 17" fluke regulations, if you had a choice of going for fluke would you go to the Western Sound or from Sheepshead Bay boats. In other words, from those 2 choices - which area has a better chance to get more 17".

Hello Mudman,
That's a legitimate question and to be perfectly honest with you…. "It all depends on the season!"

Make no mistake… The Western Sound host many 17"+ fluke during the latter part of the season while the Sheepshead Bay grounds has an early run of large fluke!

For the same reasons why I search for the monster doormats… I travel great distances (Rhode Island, Orient Pt, Montauk etc… ) because each area has it's "prime" big fish season.

Am I committed to any specific location? My answer to you is a simple NO because I like to go where the big game is. :)

Just wondering… How many of you travel great distances for your trophy fluke?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mudman, I lived in Queens most of my life, past 7 years in Westchester. I'm a lifelong fisherman who rents skiffs and fishes on friends' boats from both ends of the island. Without a doubt, the Western Sound has always provided me with the best keeper ratio of any place I've fished for fluke. Although I did not do well in the Western Sound last year, I have always caught fish 20"+ on most of my trips. The western sound is not as easy to fish for fluke in my opinion as the south shore as the drains, channels etc.. are not as readable as in the south shore. Fishing in Reynolds Channel or J-bay is somewhat easier for a novice fisherman in comparison to the open water of the sound. The western sound with its varying depths and open body of water can often make it difficult to drift the same spot over and over. I usually employ a marker buoy when I catch a fish and this helps me in landing more fish. I've always found that most of my fish are caught in a confined area. The south shore, Sheepshead bay area will also produce big fish but the keeper ratio will be much greater. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
MakoMike wrote,
…Well this year I'll be traveling about 25 miles for the big fluke, if I'm going to fish my usual haunts

That's a big "if" pal. :) Once you are done with your move…. There will be closer spots for very large doormats. Just think "North"! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fish North...i fish smithtown/stonybrook/port jeff...when do the fish head to deep waters(fluke)...basically in the spring/summer are these places productive & where should i look to find the fish....i.e. shallow water..deeper water(what depths)..sandy bottoms?drop-offs?- Should i head east to mattituck....sometimes i hit alot of fish in shallow water(less than 20ft) & others i just can't seem to find these fish......any help?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
mikeyt413 wrote:
Fish North...i fish smithtown/stonybrook/port jeff...when do the fish head to deep waters(fluke)...basically in the spring/summer are these places productive & where should i look to find the fish....i.e. shallow water..deeper water(what depths)..sandy bottoms?drop-offs?- Should i head east to mattituck....sometimes i hit alot of fish in shallow water(less than 20ft) & others i just can't seem to find these fish......any help?

Now that the season is open (today), the time to target big fluke is now! Since you live in the Smithtown/Stonybrook/Port Jefferson grounds… You ought to fish the area thoroughly because you will find them just about any depth!

Here are some of my basic rules:
Shallow water: At night baitfish swims to shore to escape the deep… therefore, predators like a fluke have no qualms about swimming the shallow lines in search for them. Like many predator… they will also wait along the edges and drops (during the Ebb tide) ready to ambush as they swim by. This is generally a very early proposition because any boat noises will force them back to the deep.

Deeper water: This is where large doormats are happy and they will find any structure (reefs, cuts, drops, edges, rocks, etc) to feed. These big doormats are opportunist feeders and they have no problem chewing a bergel, baby blackfish, searobin, blowfish etc…

Depending on the tide and structure you are fishing…. Drifting along the edges of the structure during the first two hours of either tide will yield you some impressive fish!

What do I think of sandy bottom and edges?
Well… it depends on the area where I am fishing! If it is an open beach… I generally would work very hard to find some form of structure. Sure you can catch fish along the sandy bottom… but the trophy predator is hiding along edges, dropoffs, cuts and anywhere they can find sizeable bait.

You also wrote: "… others (times) I just can't seem to find these fish......any help?
Hey, that's part of fishing… but to be perfectly honest, when the time is tough, keep your eyes open for birds (yes, birds)! Why? Because the birds knows where the bait is and you should take advantage of that situation! Also, if you see bluefish blitzes… You will generally locate feeding fluke along the edges and under them! ;)

Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Sheepshaed Bay and my buddies and I try to get to the James Joseph at leat once a week for the large Fluke. Last year I was fortunate enough to catch a 7.5lb fluke My largest yet. This year I'll be looking for double digit lb Fluke

·
Registered
44 Posts
Western Sound

Speaking of the western sound, I also didn't do too well last year with the fluke. My thought was that I may have began fishing too late, I started targeting fluke in mid-june.

What is the best time to target fluke in the western sound? End of May, Middle of June?

Once the blues arrive you can usually find me on the Klondike out of New Rochelle

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi Digitalguy,
Congratulations on your 7.5 lbs. fluke! Since you fish on the James Joseph's boat (Huntington) … Do you recall which month you caught that beauty?

Finnegan wrote:
Speaking of the western sound, I also didn't do too well last year with the fluke. My thought was that I may have began fishing too late, I started targeting fluke in mid-June. What is the best time to target fluke in the western sound? End of May, muddle of June?…
That is correct… Last year's western sound fluking was not up to par to the previous years! Since you started targeting fluke in mid-June… You did not miss the prime time! Although there are some quality fluke during the June month… the big fish really starts snapping during July and August! These big fluke will home in on "structures" and be very selective on big presentation.

I am curious… what were you using and how deep did you fish?

Hey MakoMike,
I will be calling you shortly! I am talking about a whole different state! ;)

Mudman wrote:
… I guess I'll go to both areas depending upon conditions and season.

Now ya talkingMudman! That's "my" usual routine! When I want to hunt those doormats down… I generally have to go where they are! For example… I start my early big fluke hunt way east (Orient Pt) and as the season progresses, I slowly head west (Mattituck) and afterwards I will fish the western sound.
Montauk (South side) is also a notorious floormat ground as well as the deeper waters of the LI's South Shores! ;)

I also have a question for you and the rest of the readers…. Since you are planning to fish both areas, are you planning to change your rigs and methods?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hate to sound boring...

but 80% of the time I stick with a squid spearing combo on a single hook. I've had great success and managed both size (when the larger fish are around, I also mix in whole squid) and quantity.

Occasionally later in the summer I go with live snappers to "match the hatch."
I've also had great success w/silver bullets on a rig I first saw in Jersey: three way tied to standing line, bullet tied on an 8-12 inch leader with squid spearing, and single hook on 12-18 inch leader also baited with squid/spearing.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
BD001,
No, I don't think it's boring at all!
I totally understand because it's very difficult to change a working pattern! :)

Since this is a FLUKE topic, let me ask a few more questions (all readers are welcome to chime in)...

Have you tried a bucktail?

How about a plastic or diamond jig?

Have you tried a high rig (dropper loop)?

How about an attractor (spinning blades, beeds, teasers, etc)...?

I am very interested to know... Don't be shy! Cough it up. :)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.