NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of finding fishing buddies to fish on my boat? Any good or bad stories? I boat out of Brooklyn and was thinking about this for the upcoming season.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I dont know about the experiences with people you do not know but i would recommend it.. just ask for some references.. people do not mind references.. i am always hurting for a crew.. i got 2 boats that never leave the dock because i will not run alone and no one has the money to run around me.. lol hahah.. i think it is a good idea.. if you got the money and want to run with me in central nj let me know we can hook up! would like to fish up there also!

Let me know

Vinnie

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Fishin' buddies are a great idea!
We fish locally about 4 times a week and have the best spring striper fishing in the world! Last year we were throwing back 28" fish because they were too small lol. We're always looking for more people to come fishin'. The more the merrier with us and we're not just concerned with the $ like some people...We're friends on land, our wifes / girlfriends hang out, We take family trips to Florida all winter long to fish, The kids go, the girls go. We have a good time. About 10 of us went to the boat show last Friday and we all went out to dinner in the City afterwards. So much fun.

Vinnie, we do most of our canyon fishing on my buddies Viking out of Brielle NJ. Maybe we can hook up this year?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fishing Buddy

i go with a fellow noreaster on his boat and we have a great time. So my experience has been good
i am thankful that you guys invite people without boats out, need a bit more money and i will get my own. i live in NYC and am always looking to go and split all costs. hit me up if you guys need an extra man

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
Gaucho wrote:
Yeah i also need to find some new fishing buddies...ones that know how to fish and show up.

.........been there and done that.:rolleyes: I have 4 good friends that are pretty reliable when it comes to fishing.
And I have some who seem to always say they'll be there but always have an excuse..........:rolleyes:
I think I fished on other noreastr's boats more than I did on mine last year

Dam, I'll have to get up really early to hook up with Dale now..........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Also a problem that I have, being young much of my friends including me don't have the kind of money to spend to go fishing every possible day we would like to. I'd like to hook up with a couple guys on here for some split cost trips, I think it would be pretty fun.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Youth!

I'm 23 and have yet to find someone my age that likes to fish even remotely as much as i do. i make pretty good moneey but could only afford a boat if i moved out of the city. Im def. interested in getting some trips planned out as none of my friends even know how to work a fishing reel :confused: Also i would have some interest in going in 50/50 with someone on a boat under the right circumstances.
-chase

·
Registered
867 Posts
finding others to fish with that have experience, time and money is the great thing about this site. if you want a few horror stories pm captainmako. he has a few horrors from this site.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not an advertisement for my own club but this is one of the great benefits of joining a fishing club- finding guys who want to fish and are willing to get up/pay for it. It's actually the reason my dad first joined the club: wanted to go sharkin and couldn't get enough of his buddies to skip a night of drinking to get up at 4am!

I know clubs are not everyone's cup of tea, just throwing it out there

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
KingKeith wrote:
finding others to fish with that have experience, time and money is the great thing about this site. if you want a few horror stories pm captainmako. he has a few horrors from this site.
cant be to bad...he still alive

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
:)Fishing with friends is the best part of fishing.Catching a 10lb Fluke(hopefully that's a keeper next season) or a double digit Tog is great but it loses something if you don't have a friend there to share the experience with.Besides none of my friends would believe me if they weren't there to see it.:rolleyes: A few friends to spend time with on the water is what makes the day.Catching a few fish is just a bonus.Over the last few years some of the guys that started out as fishing buddies have become my best friends on water and land.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've been on all sides of the coin and have learned one thing. While I take my boat owner break, and if asked to fish I'm going to offer that individual everything I can. Last summer an NE asked for company got an over sized fresh made english muffin with 2 scrambled eggs, canadian bacon and cheese, large coffee even though he did not drink coffee, sandwiches and left the boat stocked with drinks. I brought spare rods, rigs etc. and I paid him more than double what he asked for because I know what the real cost of thing are. I catch fresh and bring bait and wear my felt korkers so I don't scuff your boat. Happy to scrub up, cut fish, you name it. You know your doing the right thing when they ask you back and that friedship developes. Can't wait to go on our cod charter.
I'm normally a loaner in the yak now, but that said, I grew up in Breezy and go there every weekend to see family. I live in Oceanside and know the south west 1/8 of LI like the back of my hand. Have 23 days left after my scheduled vaca 08 for weekedays. Waiting to fish with you. LOL (Weekends are wide open)HAHA!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put a crew together last year that was great ,I met these guys online on a hunting forum that I belong to and I couldnt ask for more ,I never once had to ask for gas money or anything else ,it was great that they knew there way around a boat so I had nothing to do but drive the boat.These guys were never once late, **** one of them was an hour early every time {I would wake up and look out my window and he was loading the boat for me}.I am in my early 30's and fish as much as I can and I got tired of waiting at the ramp and hoping people didnt stay out to late the nght before.I had to many no shows over the past 2 years and I am done w/ it now it is only a select few that I fish w/

·
Registered
195 Posts
good and bad

I have had both good and bad experiences.
I have had quite a few people just not show up for a trip they begged to be on. But when my boat was out of commission, many members invited me out, and I had some real nice trips with some real good people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.