NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site but was told by some friends that this is the place to go to get unbiased and factual information. Not sales talk from an electronics dealer. I am looking to update some electronics and have been a Furuno fan for 30 years but with all of the great stuff out there now would buy what is best value. I am considering the Furuno 620 digital machine as 1 of my options. Would love the 585 but don't have the room for an 8" screen. The dealer at the boat show told me that a tilted element transducer(thru-hull)won't be that much better than a good transom mount. I would like the opinions of any 620 users that have experience with this. I am open to all transducer options. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
General consensus is that a properly located and installed thru hull will always out perform a properly located and installed transom mount, if for no other reason, it is mounted in "cleaner water".

That being said, there are some boats that are just about impossible to mount a thru hull on, and there are some boats that you can never get the correct angle or in the cleanest water with a transom mount.

The B60 has the additional advantage of not only being a thru hull, but does not need a fairing block to reduce the turbulence that is generated by a bulky transducer that projects far outside the hull. That fairing block adds to the difficulty of the install, can still create dirty acoustics and has potential performance disadvantages to your hull as well as making trailering tricky if not impossible.

I have a tilted element (B60 ) on my boat that replaced a conventional bronze thru hull. There is a much better image with the B60. I have seen or know of a number of boaters that made the same switch and got the same results. This is considering that the standard thru hull which was replaced was a rather simple single element, dual freq. transducer. You can not expect to replace a High Performance multi element or duplexed transducer with a B60 and get an improvement.

That dealer at the boat show is looking for the easy sale and is pushing the transducer that usually comes "matched" to the unit although the "match" is a misnomer. The "packaged" ducer is generally the most widely used model, that produces the best ALL AROUND performance under changing and different fishing conditions. It may not be the "match" for your particular style and areas that you fish.

The key to it all, is that no matter what fish finder you may buy, the transducer is the "heart" (actually the "eye")as to what it can do. Skimp on the transducer, or install one that does not suit your fishing needs and habits, and you will NOT realize all the performance that was designed into your unit.

You have already chosen what is probably the best stand alone fish finder on the market right now (585/620). For less than $200 more invest in the tilted element.

This post edited by Mad Mahi 08:49 PM 01/06/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's basically what I thought but needed to hear it from others to help me make up my mind. I need to just find the right spot on the boat for a thru hull. My fuel tank compartment is only about a foot forward of the engine area(Merc I/O) and is seperated by a bulkhead.
There is a water pick-up about 6 inches up from the keel on the port side just ahead of the engine. I was thinking of the transducer in the same spot on the starboard side a few inches forward of the water pick-up.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If your boat is new or fairly new, call the manufacturer and ask if they have a "pad" that is in the hull that would be designed for the location of a shoot thru ducer. A lot of manufactures are doing that in the past few years to facilitate the installation of the ducers, both in hull (shoot thru) and thru hull. Just make sure that there is nothing ahead of this location such as a pick up , chine, strake, etc that would interrupt the flow of water.

If you are trailering or can easily pull and relaunch your boat, you can find the sweet spot pretty effectively.

Install your new fish finder. Once installed, launch and hook up the packaged" ducer that came with it. Put the ducer in a plastic bag filled with water and then with a buddy, go take a test drive. The ducer in the bag should be checked in several spots in your hull at various speeds and depths. Make sure that your buddy keeps the ducer face pointing as straight as possible down in each hull position. You have found the ideal location when you get the cleanest echo at all speeds as close to WOT as possible.

Be prepared for the fact that you may lose some returns at times during the testing. Impossible to get it perfect with a loose mount and the water sloshing around allow some air to get under the ducer.

Once you have located the "sweet spot" (best overall testing returns), when you mount that B60, you should be real happy with your choice.

You may already know this, but I will mention it. The B60 is available in 2 configurations, a 12 degree and a 20 degree to more closely match the deadrise on a particular boat.

This post edited by Mad Mahi 06:33 AM 01/07/2008

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.