NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time with the marine electronics dealers at the NYC Boat Show. I'm down to three units and would appreciate any input on any of these three units:

1) Furuno 600L
2) Si_tex CVS 106L (now available for the first time as a color LCD unit as well as the CRT unit).
3) JRC FF50

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I can't help you. I was actually wondering if you could help me out a little. I am also looking for a fish finder and have yet to do any research. I mostly fish inshore for fluke, blues and stripers. I'm looking in the $200 - $500 range or more if that's what it takes. Are any of the models you looked at suitable for my type of fishing? I'm currenty using a cheap Eagle that's nothing more than a glorified depth finder. I'm kind of under the impression that there's a certain threshold in price that you need to hit before you get anything that's actually useful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Man,

A pretty decent inexpensive (225-250) ff is the Garmin 160 Blue (the Blue series is the new line) relatively easy to use, clear screen pretty accurate and detailed and is fine up to 300-400- ft. depth which more than covers the inshore fishing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
manfrarm

I had a hummingbird on my old boat and it marked fish and bait just fine. However, I know there are people that will disagree with me. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from the Raymarine low-end units. The mounting bracket is made of second rate plastic and has a tendency to break. The wires that connect to the back of the unit must be inserted into a hole with pins and the pins bend and or break very easily (I had to send it back to the factory and pay for it to be fixed). Hooking up your fishfinder should be quick and easy. Ray marine's engineers obviously don't feel the same. Also, I don't think the performance of the Ray marine 365 is anything special. I think you should take a look at the Lowrance X65.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a Lowrance X65 on my boat, and while I would like a color unit, I can't afford one so the x65 works great for a black and white. All of the fishing I do is inshore for Bass/Blues/Fluke. I do some fishing out at Cholera in 80-90 feet and have no problem marking fish/bait on the bottom. I also works fine while on the move.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.