NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
It is funny how the weekend warriors are all over the fisheries managment forum, bashing commercials and charter/party boats, but when there is a good article on getting more accurate data on which the limits are set, this post goes silent. Good find Lolgio, we need to get this going up here in MA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....There'll be a no more posting of articles here by me.

Sick of the attitudes here and I've got a new place to play online.....

My own.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
No wonder you're not getting a lot of responses, that was one of, if not THE most inaccurate articxle I've ever read about fisheries management. There was close to one inaccurate "fact" in every paragraph. A Senior High school student must have written it without doing his/her homework.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MakoMike wrote:
No wonder you're not getting a lot of responses, that was one of, if not THE most inaccurate articxle I've ever read about fisheries management. There was close to one inaccurate "fact" in every paragraph. A Senior High school student must have written it without doing his/her homework.


From the man who didn't know about the setaside program.....

If you have such a problem with the "inaccuracies" in the article,
write the newspaper a letter and see if they'll publish it......;)

BTW I didn't read your article on the cod....I'll never give this site a dime.
It's already making plenty off the ad's and what folks like me write here......just look at this forums history and the view counts per topic.

This post edited by loligo 07:16 AM 01/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Good Article

loligo wrote:
Fishermen and Their Reps Fight for Accuracy

easthamptonstar wrote:
The proposed legislation grew from frustration over restrictive regulations, specifically the concern that fishing for fluke, or summer flounder, has become so restrictive in New York that commercial as well as recreational fisheries are threatened with economic extinction.

Good article.

It repeats all the problems that we know exist. Not new but one of the first times I hear that politicians might be getting behind a saltwater tax, I mean license.

It's a shame, I see how well the saltwater license has worked in South Carolina (I fish there 2-3 weeks annualy) and Florida (I fish there 1 week annually). I just don't have enough faith that New York will be as accountable for spending the funds on fishing and management.

I have a problem with the saltwater license because I have no faith that the funds will be used for fisherman. I think everybody has the concern. The second concern I have is once the politicians get the money into the general fund, license fees will be raised to just get some money in the tax coffers.

The biggest problem I see with a saltwater license is that the MRFS ASMC will use shear licensee numbers to create statistics that would work against both commercial and recreational fishermen alike. Again, something I think most agree about.

Kudos to Tim Bishop again. He has been in the corner of the fishermen. Hopefully, with him and Chuck some progress can be made regarding accountability of bogus statistics and data collections.

quote:
To help improve the science, Montauk commercial fishermen, in cooperation with the Cornell Cooperative Extension, took part in an experiment last summer to test the accuracy of one part of the fluke assessment, the rate of ?discard mortality,? that is, the percentage of fluke that survive after being caught, culled, and returned to the sea.

This is something that interests me. I would like to see that numbers.

I just googled it: (Haven't read it yet, but it has a page describing the study and pictures too) I think this my be a topic that deserves it's own thread.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/sfdms/project.html

LooneyTunes
Dave

PS> Loligo, at least you are going out on a good note instead of a one sided post.

loligo wrote:
Thanks....There'll be a no more posting of articles here by me.

Sick of the attitudes here and I've got a new place to play online.....

My own.

This post edited by LooneyTunes 08:05 AM 01/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LooneyTunes wrote:

PS> Loligo, at least you are going out on a good note instead of a one sided post.

loligo wrote:
Thanks....There'll be a no more posting of articles here by me.

Sick of the attitudes here and I've got a new place to play online.....

My own.

Never said I was leaving Dave....just that I won't be starting any new topics in this forum.;)

yea, I took you off ignore, I'm looney too


This post edited by loligo 08:48 AM 01/17/2008
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
If you have such a problem with the "inaccuracies" in the article,
write the newspaper a letter and see if they'll publish it......;)

BTW I didn't read your article on the cod....I'll never give this site a dime.
It's already making plenty off the ad's and what folks like me write here......just look at this forums history and the view counts per topic.

don't read the local Easthampton paper anymore, so I'll leave it to their readers to correct it.
As for paying to read articles, that's obviously up yo you, but, like almost everthing in life, you get what you pay for.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top