NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
Fish 'killing machines' litter Norwalk Harbor

greenwichtime.com wrote:
The state Department of Environmental Protection has issued fish trap licenses to 14 commercial fishermen in Fairfield County, according to department records, but the agency does not limit the number of traps fishermen can set.

No limits? That does seem inappropriate?

No. I know the harbor and there is a very limited place to set those taps wher they won't get torn up by boat traffic. Plus, like the article says, no one is laying claim to them and tey are unmarked. Sounds like free gear to me!

·
Registered
352 Posts
As far as the illegal un -marked stuff goes....Take 'em out.one question though in the article...how does one go about pulling gear accidently...I thought it was my buoy color,it just happened to get stuck on my boat hook....my anchor got snagged on it,so instead of flipping it off,i figured id pull the whole trawl..i'm confused.In 27 years of commercial fishing i've never pulled somebody else's gear by accident?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
commfish wrote:
i'm confused.In 27 years of commercial fishing i've never pulled somebody else's gear by accident?

Me neither but I have seen a boat going away on my radar and pulleda freshly pulled GF'net or 2.....it does happen Robb, you know that.

2 years ago conching we knew who was in our singles and end pots we just couldn't catch a 23' seacraft in a 36'.:mad:

Yep pull the stuff thats lost illegal or...unattended. The escape vents (if they had them?) are probably gone on the lost ones by now, but they still don't belong, at least pull them and open the door/s and get rid of the rope and buoy on land or recycle them, better yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mola said he called Smith two years ago, after fishermen began picking up the traps by mistake and coming across unmarked fish pots.......................This was the comment in regard..how do you pick up a fish,lobster,crab,etc pot by accident???Ahhhhhhhhhh curiosity??It was only a couple of years ago that fish pots did not require markings.Still to this day i beleive in NY you do not have to mark conk pots.Either buoy or pot.So what gives anybody the right to pick up a buoy and haul it,no matter whats on the END.It ain't your's you did not set it..Don't effin touch it.Mind you business and go on your merry way.And the balls of some people to engage in illegal activity themselves and then go bitchin to the law about what they think they may have found.I'm sure they released all the fsh after a healthy dinner of hermits and a nice massage.It probably was more like man we only had 2 fish in 24 beers..this is wrong,that's why we did'nt catch anything.I'm totally miffed on how somebody pulls gear by mistake.Maybe i should spend the day pulling moorings by mistake and re-setting the whole mess as a blackfish reef.As far as fish gear goes for togs.....i like dirty gear it catches better.The pots have escape vents and panel.I think the vent size i use is 3 1/4 inch circle.It is attached to a piece of pot wire that measures 6"x6" and attatched with biodegradble rings that melt out fast.Barnacles in the vent...........give me a break....a tog is going to come up to this vent and say ohhhhhhhhhh no i can't go through there i'll scratch my pretty white chin.Yeah right.Fish potting if done correctly is one of the cleanest fisheries.This fishery has almost zero discards.On occasion i will pot a bluefish that dies due to lack of swim-bladder.The fish swim into a pot or trap because they want to,not have some hook slammed into their head or gut rendering them dead.Lost gear is not an issue as the biodegradable vents quickly release the catch.JR not bitchin at you just wanted to shed some light on this subject as well as addressing some of your concerns about by-catch and addresing how the media blows thing out of proportion.

This post edited by commfish 09:14 PM 12/27/2007

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy there Rob- yep fish pots are cleaner than hooks in fact, if they are tended - absolutely! I think the figures were something like % survivability for fish was like 95/90 respectively...?

·
Registered
864 Posts
My fish pots fish better clean/ the lobster pots dirty/ all gear in NY needs to be marked.
Couple of seasons ago, some murf kepted setting on me JUST to tangle up so as to get my gear to the surface to pick me clean. Yea, there are some peeps that DO pull someones gear by MISTAKE. BTW;IMO,fish potting is a very clean fishery.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.