NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down in Florida (Weekie Watchee) last week at my parent's house. They live in the Glen Lakes area & have a fresh water pond right in their backyard. It's connectewd to several other ponds. Saw a lot of fish activity & tried casting a small spinner lure into the pond & low & behold I hook a small fish. Not being overally familar with freshwater fishing I was wondering if anyone could identify what I caught.

Fish was about 10 inches in lenght & had a green coloring to him. Looked a little like a seabass.

I suspect it was some kind of bass - perhaps large or small mouth. Eventually hooked several of them all about the same size.

All were released - anyone have any idea what they may have been?

This message was edited by wader on 10-18-01 @ 1:17 PM

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unforetunately - no pictures. I know they stock the ponds - so it was definately "introduced". Best decription I can give is:
resembled a sea bass
sides were bright - but not - deep green

This message was edited by wader on 10-19-01 @ 9:12 AM

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well - I was down there again catching them one after another on an artifical grub with a spinning blade attached.

Local sportsman showed up & identified them for me - large mouthbass.

Fun to catch on real light tackle. Would have been perfect for fly fishing. Saw one come out of the water to grab a dragonfly that was hovering about 6 inchs over the water.

Hey Flysully - you reading this? If you end up in Weekie Wachee (a town that could only exist in Florida & the land of the mouse) mail me & I'll give you the location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.