NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
32,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down in Florida (Weekie Watchee) last week at my parent's house. They live in the Glen Lakes area & have a fresh water pond right in their backyard. It's connectewd to several other ponds. Saw a lot of fish activity & tried casting a small spinner lure into the pond & low & behold I hook a small fish. Not being overally familar with freshwater fishing I was wondering if anyone could identify what I caught.

Fish was about 10 inches in lenght & had a green coloring to him. Looked a little like a seabass.

I suspect it was some kind of bass - perhaps large or small mouth. Eventually hooked several of them all about the same size.

All were released - anyone have any idea what they may have been?

This message was edited by wader on 10-18-01 @ 1:17 PM

· Registered
398 Posts
wader,
if you have a decent picture of the fish you could post, i could probably identify it for you. your description is not enuff.

there are about 100 different species of tropical brackish and freshwater fishes which have been introduced to florida in recent years.

set,
opinari

· Registered
32,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unforetunately - no pictures. I know they stock the ponds - so it was definately "introduced". Best decription I can give is:
resembled a sea bass
sides were bright - but not - deep green

This message was edited by wader on 10-19-01 @ 9:12 AM

· Registered
32,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well - I was down there again catching them one after another on an artifical grub with a spinning blade attached.

Local sportsman showed up & identified them for me - large mouthbass.

Fun to catch on real light tackle. Would have been perfect for fly fishing. Saw one come out of the water to grab a dragonfly that was hovering about 6 inchs over the water.

Hey Flysully - you reading this? If you end up in Weekie Wachee (a town that could only exist in Florida & the land of the mouse) mail me & I'll give you the location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.