NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish offshore on Jeffery's ledge, cod, haddock, all the usual ground fish. I need a finder, but have a limited budget of $200-250 ish.

Looking at the Furuno LS4100 finder, http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Furuno+LS4100.html

I have never really had a finder that I actually saw fish with, but rather just used it as a depth tool. I was hoping I could get one this time that actually would pick up fish.

Also been looking at the Lowrance X96.

Thanks for any info.
-John

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

I think you should look for a finder with more watts then 300 for the depths your fishing. I am not sure what is best in your price range and for the depths your looking to see bottom life. If you have the room, consider a used Furuno FCV-582. I think the 582L is the latest before they moved to the 585. Make sure the used/new furuno comes with a ducer since a transom p66 cost about $80 extra.

Marc

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Johnshan wrote:
I fish offshore on Jeffery's ledge, cod, haddock, all the usual ground fish. I need a finder, but have a limited budget of $200-250 ish.

Looking at the Furuno LS4100 finder, http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Furuno+LS4100.html

I have never really had a finder that I actually saw fish with, but rather just used it as a depth tool. I was hoping I could get one this time that actually would pick up fish.

Also been looking at the Lowrance X96.

Thanks for any info.
-John

Welcome aboard and I agree with baywatch do a search you will find tons of info on just about anything, including fish finders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I did do a search before I posted, and I have lurked for a long time as well. Love the cod bible thread! I was really looking for anyone who has used the Furuno finder, which I cant seem to locate with a search. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to hamilton marine today, and played with the Furuno but boy that screen is just awful quality, so I had to pass on it.

Anyone use a Si-Tex ProFish III? Looks like a nice unit, color, 250 rms through hull transducer, $240 shipped. I cant find ANY info on them though through the forums search.

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
John,

The key is power for the depth our fishing (200+'). With your budget your going to have a hard time finding a finder that will do what you want which is see fish. If you can find a few more bucks, go for a higher end unit. It will be well worth it when fish are hitting the deck that you saw on the finder on the last drift. I have a funruno 585 and it does the job.

Marc

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Johnshan wrote:
I was really looking for anyone who has used the Furuno finder, which I cant seem to locate with a search.

I put one on my little center console. The 4100 is a great machine for the money and suited my needs well as a basic "knock around machine". But thats the key...Suit your needs. The particular boat that I put it on never really fished in more than 50ft of water (usually 3-30ft) so a high wattage machine wasnt necessary. Also, Furuno has a great reputation for making durable machines which also suited my needs as it would be exposed on a center console.
BUT...as others have stated (and I agree)...If you are going to be fishing deep water, You really want to get the best and most powerfull machine your budget can allow:

Capt. Marc wrote:

The key is power for the depth our fishing (200+'). With your budget your going to have a hard time finding a finder that will do what you want which is see fish. If you can find a few more bucks, go for a higher end unit. It will be well worth it when fish are hitting the deck that you saw on the finder on the last drift. I have a funruno 585 and it does the job.
Marc

Capt. Marc is right! He also mentioned looking at a used Furuno 582. Good advice. I dont think you mentioned what boat this is going on though...thats also a big factor to concider. Do you have space for something like a 582?

Oh...and stay away from the lowrance stuff for saltwater.

This post edited by BLUEFISH9 04:27 AM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this one.On my last boat bad Attitude I used the Lowrance X70A and it was a great machine.
I don't know how good they are now but I doubt you have to stay away from them.
I recommend you save some more money and get the best you can afford then, $200 don't get you that much for a deep water fishfinder.
paulie

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
B.Attitude wrote:
BLUEFISH9 wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this one.On my last boat bad Attitude I used the Lowrance X70A and it was a great machine.

That was guite a while ago. Lowrance has gone down hill since then especially customer service and major problems with warranty work. The just brow beat you to death until you throw your hands up in the air and buy something else.

Furuno is the way to go.

You should check out the boat shows coming up, they have some great deals at the shows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I have the room:

Or can make room anyway. So your saying the older Furuno 582 with the CRT is still a good unit?

Looks like an antique to me, but beggars cant be choosers, right? Thanks again.

This post edited by Johnshan 09:42 AM 01/20/2008

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Furuno 582

that old furuno 582 crt is a great machine and will probably fit your budget. The 58x series of furuno fishfinders always become the industry benchmarks. Many people say that the crt provides a superior image than the older LCDs. However the new 585 is a sick machine. the 582l is also an awesome machine, probably the best known bottom machine furuno has ever made. If you can find the dough for it, definitely go for it. If not though, you will definitely be happy with the crt 582.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
clementine wrote:
that old furuno 582 crt is a great machine and will probably fit your budget... Many people say that the crt provides a superior image than the older LCDs... `

Almost correct! The CRT is the OLDER technology, not LCD, but does produce a clearer sharper "screen" image. Problem is that sunlight, direct or indirect, washes it right out!

BAYWATCH and B.Attitude are both correct about LOWRANCE(IMO and many others, including those that sell & service them).

Lowrance makes a very good unit with features that, at one time, were industry leading and hard to beat. The problem is their reliability and follow up after the sale with their current line. For the cost of their units, they have high failure rates, high warranty and down times, and undergo constant upgrades to their software and hardware. They also tend not to stay in inventory for more than 2-3 years after introduction.

Getting pack to the original question posted BY "Johnshan":

For $200 to buy a fishfinder which you can use where you usually fish (Jeffreys- fairly deep) I don't think you will be happy with ANY manufacturers unit. At that price, you will not find the power, features and a matching transducer to make you happy or to really work for you. The wattage you need, the features that will help and a tranducer (the heart of the system)will cost easily twice that, if used, and over $1000 if new, IMO.

Trying to do it it at $200 is similar to circum-navigating the world in a kayak.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
clementine wrote:
that old furuno 582 crt is a great machine and will probably fit your budget... Many people say that the crt provides a superior image than the older LCDs...

Mad Mahi wrote:
Almost correct! The CRT is the OLDER technology, not LCD, but does produce a clearer sharper "screen" image. Problem is that sunlight, direct or indirect, washes it right out!

What i was talking about was the 582L, the older LCD fishfinder as opposed to the new 585. I know CRT technology far precedes LCD technology. I was just trying to say that the CRTs have nothing against the new 585...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

Best advice I have is save your pennies and go for a Furuno FCV620 5.6" COLOR LCD - FISHFINDER 50/200KHZ 600W. Same screen size screen as a 582L and the same technology as a 585. Identical to the 585 except for the screen size and costom zooming will blow up the screen to see the bottom clearly.

Marc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up buying a color Si-Tex Profish III with bronze thru-hull transducer, speed, and temp. It is not a top of the line model, but its still a good quality unit. Will I mark fish at 300'? Probably not, but it should still provide me with a nice picture of structure/terrain below, and I think thats worth a lot.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.