NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to turn tonight and made three so far! not sure how good they are but just the rough outs.. any input would be great.. one is going to be a popper, one a danny plug, and the other....well i dont know but i will figure it out!! hahah

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
yup, those are rough...

like Leo, once I touch a chisel to the wood, it doesnt come off the lathe until it's sanded and marked.....

Your off to a good start, lets see some finished shapes.. go get 'em!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I WOULD BUT....

I have been so stoked to start turning i didnt have any sand paper so i just turn turn turn!! hahah..

going to pick up some more stuff tonight and make another go of it!!

I got the nack of shaping pretty good now and made some kick A$$ stuff last nigth again!! i am very happy with what i am doing so far but WHAT A MESS! HAHAHA

I will post more pics soon.
PS.
WHERE DO I GET THE LINSEED OIL!?

·
Registered
703 Posts
with out a dust collector, your going to make a mess:)

Lowes or Home depot has boiled linseed oil, be sure to cut it 60/40 with mineral spirits, or it will NEVER dry, leaving the surface gummy to the touch, while your at Lowes, pick up #80 grit, # 220 grit and some #400...... get plenty of #80 and #220, you'll use alot of it...

A word about sealing... be sure to give ample time for the sealer to dry, if you do not, the finish will bubble and peel, this is THE most common error made by begginers.

Here's a quick 1-5 on shaping a plug, The entire process takes me less than 5 minutes...

#1) Find centers and chuch ito lathe
#2) Round off stock and mark rough plus demensions
#3) using calipers and parting tool lay out your plug
#4)using a roughing gouge, bring the form to life, then finish
demensions with a skew.
#5) sand and mark hook ,weigh and eye holes...

This post edited by rockfish9 10:57 AM 01/09/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CEDAR?!?!

Do you use all cedar?

How do you cut down those perfect pieces what do you use?

And when you put the dimension on the plug how do you know how big you want to make it? Can that be done by eye? Or do you do that to keep them all the same?

I am going to stop tonight and get all the stuff..

·
Registered
703 Posts
a few more things:

When sanding, if you dont have a dust collector, wear a quality particle mask, a resperator is better.

Always remove the tool rest while sanding.... believe me, it's not worth the pain!

For cedar, a 30 minute saok is fine, pine about the same, hardwoods like maple, birch and beech, need 1-2 hours, longer depending on the desity and moisture content of of the wood...

after soaking, hang and drip dry, after an hour of dripping, wipe down with a rag or paper towel, then place the rag in a bucket of water until it can be dried out OUTSIDE.. read the directions on the Can of BLO..it can spontaneously conbust, use caution.

Here are a few shots of the set up I use, a plastic coffe can with a lid will suffice, keep the sealer covered when not in use, this will cut down on evaporation, limit the unwated oder in the work space and keep out contaminants, the turkey roasing pan underneith serves as a containment berm and catches drips outside of the container...

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use %80 cedar, the rest is maple birch or beech...

as for cutting, I buy 4"X4"X10'at the local lumber yard, each "stick" cost me $50, I then use my miter saw to cut them into the desired size I want, most are 9" long, some are 6"... then I take them to the band saw, set the fence and cut them in half and once the pile is halved, I then quarter them, after that I center mark all of them and they are stacked on a rack, ready for use...

Attachments

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a measurement for the centering??

I only have 5 chisels and i need to get more.. what kind of chisels do you have and use?! i got to get some different ones..

I like some designs i came up with just got to try and make them!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Centering.... unless I need maximum stock, I eyeball it, but when I need the know the exact center I use this mome made center finder, it is a broken hacksaw blade counter sunk into and epoxied into the block of wood, it will do round or square stock of any size, one whack of a hammer,a quarter turn, whack... flip repeat...X marks the spot.

As far as chisels go, you realy only need three for turning plugs...

A roughing gouge, a skew and parting tool....

When buying lathe tools, dont wast your money on the chaep stuff, you get what you pay foer Robert Sorby makes the best, Pen State Industries benjimans best are pretty good too..

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.