NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try out Fireline and have a few questions:

I plan on using it on a Penn 6500 that I usually have 15# pink Ande on. What test Fireline should I use?

I want to use only 125 yards of Fireline and back it up with mono. What type of knot should I use to join the two lines?

Last, what knot should I use to tie swivels or lures to the Fireline? For that matter do I still need snap swivels when fishing with lures?

Thanks,

AtomAnt

·
Registered
843 Posts
fire line in 30 lbs.{ will not give you wind knots}

albright knot to mono.{ or uni-knot to uni-knot}
a palomar knot to swivel. [ add 50lbs leader after swivel to tie to a snap or to the lure .

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree also use the 30 lbs test fireline and the
knots suggested!
I use a 10ft st.croix rod with a 6500 penn reel.
I used 20lbs fire line it works but dont sell yourself short, go with 30 lbs!
Fill up your reel with mono line then attach the
125 yds of fireline to it.I use 25lbs mono for backing and fill up about 3/4 of the way on the 6500 then load up on 125yds of Fireline.

IBEW local 1049

This message was edited by IBEW on 10-26-01 @ 6:35 PM

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
There have been a number of discussion about fireline and braides lines in the past few months. You might want to check them out.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
For what it's worth, I use the absolute minimum amount of backing under my Power Pro. The reason is that if you fish hard during the season, you will cut back and re-tie numerous times, add to that the occasional hang up and break offs and you now have a uselessly short shot of Power Pro on yer reel. I would rather pay a couple of bucks more and load er up with the good stuff. This way you are never short on line and don't have to worry about connecting knots running through your guides and shortening yer casts.Works for me. LATER

·
Registered
46 Posts
go with the 30lb fireline when you fish the braids on a spinner you have to make sure when the bail comes over the lines not over the top of the spool or on the next cast you get the knot

·
Registered
404 Posts
i agree with bucktail's approach to spooling up.

price per yard is lowest on 1000 yard spools of fireline. no comparison if you compare price per yard of a 125 yard spool that you only use 50 yards of.

besides, when i'm fishing on the beach or jetty with my vs300, and the surf tuna of my dreams hits - i will be ready.

set,
opinari

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.