NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One additional note in that Fire Line is a little soft/waxy and can get cut/nicked easy. Also pay attention to your leader knot. I use a double blood (same as my tarpon knots) with no problem. I never ever ever use swivels, esp. bronze because many fish such as blues, mackeral, will hit the flash of the swivel and bam!

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Onthefly,
Do you double up the fireline to tie the blood knot? Also, how does that knot hold with flourocarbon leaders? I have had a lot of problems with the flouro leaders breaking off when I use the uni-to-uni and albright special. Lately I have been using a swivel with no problems but I would like to go back to using a knot if I can find one that will hold. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using fireline for 2 seasons with no problem. You need to use a palomar knot. I have had no problem with black swivels and use a 3 to 4 ft 40# mono leader, depending on the rocks. The leader keeps you from slicing you finger with the fireline.
You will enjoy the added casting distance. Good Luck, BB

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doughboy, I have a book on knots that I will scan this weekend and repost here. You can email me at [email protected]. Yes, I always double. A double surgen knot with the second loopback is good too. I noticed however that when linking FIre line to 20 or 30 lb mono the mono can cut the fire line if you're heaving some weight. I moved to Swivels are ok for bait but for lures they can make the lure "swival". I was a die hard swival fan until I starting fishing the clear, shallow waters of Florida where the fish could see the swival and get spooked or bite the swival off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.