NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help locating fish using depthfinder...what do you guys look for? sometimes it shows fish but I never get one after I see them...would I be better just looking for drop and certain structure?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
joey2509,

What kind of fish finder do you have and what are the settings you are using? Also, what kind of fishing (anchor drift, troll etc) are you doing. And lastly where are you fishing and depth of water. All these questions will help to make sure you are adjusting the fish finder to best show fish.

Capt. Marc

PS. When you say you are seeing fish are you seeing arcs or do you have your fish finder set to show fish symbols?

·
Registered
612 Posts
HI.....what you want to know will come with expirence with your new fishfinder. color scopes are the best and most reliable way to locate fish. And actually almost 99% of the time you are going to be targeting schools of fish and or bait a lone fish will show up but chances are an angler wont catch that lone fish. you will learn to "read" these with expirence. When i am drifting worms and eels over wrecks or other types of bottom almost any body can tell a dead wreck from a wreck that you bail fish on. you will "read" small arches and little red and yellow circles right on top of the deep red of the bottom on a color scope. I can even tell if they are blues or bass and be on the money 90% of the time just by the way the schools are packed and weather they are tight to the bottom or not. next time i am out i will post a picture on what "stacked" bass look like on a color scope.. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
972 Posts
The view from the surface and the view under the boat. All bass, no blues, late November off of Eatons Neck (notice the Lat/Lon #'s). The machine is a Raymarine C120 with a P66 transom mount transducer. Blues on this machine show up slightly less arch shaped than bass.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.