NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few older rods from the 80's with plastic Fin-nor tycoon roller guides on them. I am planning on cutting them down into stand-up rods but need a double roller for the striper guide. Anyone know if these are still available?? I would like to get away with just redoing the stripper guide and re-gluing the unibut. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Fin-nor rollers and old rods with Fin-nor rollers are collector's items, especially if they are built on Kennedy blanks. What you are proposing to do is not a good idea for all sorts of reasons. Unless you have some kind of an emotional attachement to these rods, I would strongly suggest that you sell them, and use the liberated funds to get yourself a set of Calstars. Assorted Fin-nor guides do pop up on eBay once in a while, and sell for crazy money more often than not.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think these things are that old to be worth anything. I searched Ebay and nothing came up. They came out of an Estate sale in the late 80's and we used them for a while but they are a little long for Stand up. They were made when standup was just starting to catch on. One of the ferrules came apart so I decided to try and rework them, just a thought.

I'll post some pics and see if anyone recognizes them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check them out, The guide frames are actually some sort of plastic, they work pretty well if you keep them clean. Looking to loose about 12", hate to loose the diamond wrap though.

This post edited by Dorymate2530 08:17 PM 01/01/2008

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Bryan,

Pac Bay in their catalog has Stuart roller guides. They look like the old Fin-Nor. A double roller in gold is SRG5-G. This is a SS frame. A one piece aluminum frame is the LSRG5-G.

Check these out. Maybe you can use them.

I know Fin-Nor was sold or bought someone else out. Who knows who owns who now a days.

Am trying to remember if Cape Fear purchased Fin-Nor.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You mean that the siplates are plastic, not the frames, right?. The frames are supposed to be machined aluminum. Yeah, these rods look kinda ghetto. Especially the AFTCO tip top. None the less, Fin-nor guides tend to sell very well on eBay, because they are pretty rare, and anything made by original Fin-nor is a status symbol.

I still wouldn't advise attmepting the stand up conversion. If those are chair rods, then the actions are completely different from what a stand up stick should be.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
got to agree with fishwisher you have a nice vintage rod why take it apart to rebuild it when you can put the effort into building a all new rod on a calstar or seeker ?that rod looks nice why cut it up if you like the wraps just my thought

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You know what? I searched my memory, and I think that's an actual Fin-nor Ahab brand rod, not a custom. They didn't make their tip tops small enough to fit lighter line rods, hence the Aftco. It's not a terribly sought after collectors item, but it's got to be worth something. I'm guessing it's a 30lb class IGFA regulation trolling rod.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean that the siplates are plastic, not the frames, right?. wrote:

The entire guide is plastic. Frames and sideplates. The roller and the area around the roller is metal.

I still wouldn't advise attmepting the stand up conversion. If those are chair rods, then the actions are completely different from what a stand up stick should be. wrote:

These rods were built as stand-up rods as the butt is to short for a chair. They were made when guys were just starting to get out of the chair and fight bigger stuff on the stand up gear. The action is OK as a standup rod but I think about 12" off the butt would dial it in a little better.

As Capt. Neil suggested I have looked at the Stuart guides and If I decide to do this I think that is the route I will take. The main problem I have is the stripper guide as it is now is a single roller and the line will rub on top of the guide as it comes off the reel hence the need for a double roller setup. The other option is to strip all the Fin-nor guides off, purchase a roller setup, cut off about a foot then re-wrap the whole thing. But that sounds like alot of work.:)

Its winter and I'm getting cabin fever, is it spring yet???? I'll let you guys know how I do. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know what? I searched my memory, and I think that's an actual Fin-nor Ahab brand rod, not a custom. wrote:

Could be, there are no markings on the two I have, the fore grip is interesting though, I was going to see if I could save it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capt. Neil???????
quote:
Pac Bay in their catalog has Stuart roller guides. They look like the old Fin-Nor. A double roller in gold is SRG5-G. This is a SS frame. A one piece aluminum frame is the LSRG5-G.

Having trouble finding these??? Tried Mudhole but the website is vauge on what they offer.
I would like double roller in black.
Can I get them through you????

Thanks
Bryan

This post edited by Dorymate2530 06:42 PM 02/04/2008

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Capt. Neil!!!!!!!

Nice Talkin to ya!!!!!

:):):)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.