NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.finnorfishing.com/pgs/offshore_stardrag.html

I found these while browseing Cabelas today. They look new, this year. Just woundering if any one has seen or used one, or if anyone has heard anything about them. Im tring to find a new reel for cod jigging and bait fishing. Just woundering how they would compare to the Saltist and Torium. Also what gear ratio for cod fishing, 4.3:1 or 6.2:1. Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
rbchamps2 wrote:
http://www.finnorfishing.com/pgs/offshore_stardrag.html

I found these while browseing Cabelas today. They look new, this year. Just woundering if any one has seen or used one, or if anyone has heard anything about them. Im tring to find a new reel for cod jigging and bait fishing. Just woundering how they would compare to the Saltist and Torium. Also what gear ratio for cod fishing, 4.3:1 or 6.2:1. Thanks

I have the ofs16 6.2 to 1 and have only used it twice for cod. Very comparable to the saltist. I have the saltist 30 and 50 also. Beleive the ofs 16 is a little lighter than my saltist 30 and holds a bit more line than the saltist 30. Have had maint. issues with my saltist 50 so at this point I like the fin-nor better, time will tell. Beleive the factory drag on the ofs 16 is better than the factory drag on the saltists' unless its been upgraded ? Had my saltists' upgraded with carbontex drag washers and bearing and the fin-nor is close to the upgraded saltists' in #s drag. May even give a little more. Have been breaking down my saltists after 2-4 times use and have been finding water inside. Haven 't heard too many complaints about them but from experience know they trap water inside from normal use which causes corrosion and bearing failure. Tried to get my 50s bearings replaced under warranty by an authorized Daiwa service center and they wouldn 't honor the warranty. Said it was my fault as I rinse the reel in fresh water after ea. use. The 50 was a little over 6 mos. old and had used 1/2 doz. times. Just my personal experiences.

·
Registered
687 Posts
rbchamps2 wrote:
If I was going to go with the Fin-Nor, what gear ratio would be ideal for cod fishing, 4.3:1 or 6.2:1 ?

I personally prefer the faster retreive as most of my codding is drift-fishing and done in deeper water . Also comes in handy if you decide to use it for tiles'. Some pers. prefer the slower retreive, say the lower gearing delivers more torque, (power). Have caught tuna to 80lbs. and cod to high 40s with the faster retreive with no problem. Also have an avet lx and jx with the fast retreive and really like them a lot. I would consider them also if you plan on fishing with spectra.

·
Registered
687 Posts
rbchamps2 wrote:
Does any one know when these are going to be available, I have been looking on Cabelas every day and they still say they are back ordered.

Keep an eye out on ebay as thats where I purchased my ofs16 back in nov.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.