NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked fin-nor about the drag strength and weight of this reel and this is the info I received:
"This is all the information that I have received at this time. I hope it is helpful. The drag power, or we call it Drag Lock Down, is 23 pounds pull, on the line for the high speed, 6.2 to 1 gear ratio, and 35 pounds, for the low speed, 4.3 gear ratio...The weight is 24 oz, for the 16 size, 24.5 oz, for the 20, and 25 oz for the 30..."

Why would they make such a difference in drag strength based on gear ratio? Do u think they're wrong? I could see differences based on the size of the reel and which washers they could fin in. BTW, 35 pounds seems to be the most drag I've seen in a conventional reel under 200 dollars. Has anyone used this reel and do u think this reel would be the best option for the price? Would the OFC16L 4.3:1 be the best option? I figure the more drag the better for these fish, I don't need that much line,and why have more weight or harder line leveling with a bigger spool, but do I need a bigger spool so I reel up more? I guess it'll double here in the NE for cod etc.

# Fast and powerful retrieve ratios
# Incredible drag strength
# Diecast aluminum bodies and side plates
# Five stainless steel ball bearings

Fin-Nor Offshore Casting Reel
Model Capacity
(yds./lb. test) Gear
Ratio Bearings Qty Price
OFC16H 350/20 6.2:1 5 $179.99

OFC16L 350/20 4.3:1 5 $179.99

OFC20H 380/30 6.2:1 5 $189.99

OFC20L 380/30 4.3:1 5 $189.99

OFC30H 365/40 6.2:1 5 $199.99

OFC30L 365/40 4.3:1 5 $199.99

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
chinookhead wrote:
Why would they make such a difference in drag strength based on gear ratio? Do u think they're wrong?

Simpe Newtonian physics. No, they are not wrong. On the slower reel the fish will have to turn the main gear and the drag stack contained therein once for every 4.3 turns of the spool. On the higher speed reel it gets 6.2 turns worth of line for doing the exact same amount of work. The lower the gear ratio, the more drag you get. This only applies to conventional star drag reels.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
FishWisher wrote:
He's not talking about the spinners, Kil. Their as of yet unreleased Saltist knock-offs are also called "Fin-nor Offshore".Woops, my mistake.
Mike, you can give more proper answer as I don't know much about inside mechanism of a reel. :) Any reel survive one year in my hands is a good reel. :)

This post edited by KILSONG 07:06 PM 02/11/2008

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fishwisher, thanks for the physics lesson...they don't seem to be just saltist knock offs.....much more drag. On the saltists high gear drag= 20# and on the low gear drag=22 pounds with the saltiga at 22#. I don't want something that I have to spend a load of money on (a lot for me) and still have to replace the drags and anti-reverse (trinidad and torium). I want something that'll last, but being so new it is a crap shoot, but it looks good on paper.
:rolleyes::confused:

Also, tackle direct already has the 16L in stock and castaway says they have all of them in stock, but I would not trust the castaway's site...I and others have had plenty of experience with them advertising reels not in stock...especially hard to find abus etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FishWisher wrote:
Saltists do much better than that with the big boy drags. I get mid thirties from my 4.9:1.

Does that mean after u put in smoothies or some other after market drag? I also, heard some guy saying that saltists fill with water. Have the saltists been pretty durable or low maintenance for u?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Chinookhead,

Thanks for the specs. I have the ofs16 hi speed that I purchased back in nov. from e-bay. $117.00 including shipping. Used it twice for cod so far and am extremely happy. Didn 't know the drag capabilities of any of the ofss'. I'm the guy who complained about the saltists retaining water, destroyed the bearings in my 50 a year ago. Also have the saltist 30 and as Fishwisher suggested I now break them down after using a few times. Also I don 't leave them in the boats rod-holders to get sprayed with sea water as I use to do. Try to baby them a bit. Both of my saltists' have been upgraded with carbontex washers and bearing but it appears the ofs16 gives as much drag as the saltists' and the ofs hasn 't been upgraded. Fishy, thanks for the simple physics dissertation. I knew the mechanics of it but your communication skills are unsurpassed ! Have been considering a penn torque but if the ofs low-speed gives 35# thats comparable and at the $ will probably give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.