NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my hunt continues! I have heard stories about how bad the ficht engines were and need to know if the newer ficht's are better or if the 97' and 98' year models that have been upgraded are worth looking at. The motors in Question 1998 Evinrude 150hp ficht $4,500 installed with controls and 60 day warranty and the other is a 1997 Evinrude 150hp ficht $4,000 installed with controls and 60 day warranty. Reputable dealer says the engines have had the upgrades and are very solid. I know appearance doesn't mean anything but they are spotless. Maybe cause they never ran much?? I need to repower but I want to make the right choice. With one daughter heading to college and 2 more right behind her I want to make the right choice with my limited bank roll. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Look at the string on this board that was begun by ACCESS on 1/20/02. It is under the title "BOMBARDIER WHEN?"

It may not give you any answers, or it may create additional questions. Hopefully, it will help you make an informed decision.

I don't own a FICHT but have spent a lot of time on my buddy's boat (has a 2000 200 hp Evinrude). It had the fuel injector leak that was corrected with the retrofit retainers. I have not seen anything that I do not like about the motor, neither has my buddy. The only dilemma now is to decide whether to trade into something newer, which as of this date does not seem to be a viable alternative ( every dealer literally runs when they hear that it is an OMC Ficht!) or, to spend some big bucks an an extended warranty plan (just in case?!).

I also understand that the design problems have been corrected on the new BOMARDIER motors. But we all know how reputations are difficult to change.

Let's see what other input your inquiry generates.

Good luck and good fishing!

TSLTW

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
the 150/175s were the worst offenders. Not sure if upgrades will resolve all problems. Prior to the upgrades, power head damage could occur due to ring binding, etc. Do they have new power heads ? Also, some dealers were and are full of s***. one guy insisted to me that the fichts HE sold never had the problems we've all heard about since he set thm up properly. hard to believe. be careful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
WHEN i PURCHASED MY jOHNSON 175 IN 1998, MY DEALER "A VERY HONEST ONE IN BUSINESS FOR 43 YEARS", TOLD ME NOT TO BUY THE FICHT, so I didn't. I am happy that I didn't. I've been back to the dealer for other reassons, talked with the expert Tech.,and he told me that the ficht engines are nothing but a pain. Since then OMC now Bombardier is supposed to have made major improvements. So in my opinion< I would not buy an OMC Ficht older than 2001.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You might think he's honest & be ill advised, or if a dealer is stuck with these engines it's amazing how " fixed " the problems may become.
Personally , I would stay away because even thought he newer ones might have the problems solved thier not time tested & when its time to sell many people wont look @ a FICHT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I owned a pair of 1998 150 motors. I would not recomend them even if they have the upgrades - bandaids. I blew a powerhead within 100 hours of use (4 powerheads in all). Finally OMC repalced both powerheads under warrnaty with 2001 models - haven't missed a beat since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I GUESS I PASS ON THE FICHT. OTHER OPTIONS 1991 JOHNSON 150hp TOTAL REBUILD INSTALLED WITH CONTROLS AND 60 DAY PARTS AND LABOR OR 1991 YAMAHA 115hp TOTAL REBUILD INSTALLED WITH CONTROLS AND 60 DAYS P&L. EITHER MOTOR HAS TRUELY BEEN DONE OVER FROM DEALER THAT ONLY DEALS WITH REPOWERING OUTBOARDS. $4,000 ADVISE???? $4,500 IS PRETTY MUCH MY LIMIT RIGHT NOW ( KIDS IN COLLEGE AND SO ON)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not stick with the proven technology of the carb'd outboard since your on a limited budget. If you can scrape up another grand or so you can get a brand new in box 130 johnson. These motors are pretty bullet proof. Don't know what size rig you have so do you really need the V6 ?? check out this dealer in virginia ... I know quite a few people that bought here and were totally happy. I don't think you can beat his prices ... he carries the major brands .. johnson,evinrude,yamaha,merc http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe things have gotten better since last spring, but I had some bad experiences with parts on my old Johnson '93. My marina (also dealer) was informed a part would be available in a week. One month (later) off the water I sold my old rig.

My experience may not have been typical of the time, and things with support of old OMC engines may have gotten better, but I was not a happy camper as a month passed without the part. Just grumblings from someone with a bad experience, but my guess is that Bombardier will never be real focused on the older OMC stuff (and probably less focused the older).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would wait to see if the problems with the FICT technology has been corrected by Bombardier. Spend your money on a Yamaha. Bombardier is a great Co. but remember "It's your money and you won't have a problem until you spend it"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WELL I DECIDED TO WALK AWAY RATHER THAN FICHT! I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON A 1995 125hp MERC WITH A GOOD WARRENTY. I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE. AT THIS TIME WITH KIDS HEADING TO COLLEGE I HAD TO CUT BACK A LITTLE SO BETWEEN THE HIGHER COST AND IFY BACKROUND OF THE ENGINE I GOT THE 95' MERC.

Tight lines to all
Phil

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to find information on the 1999 Evenrude 200 FICHT. I'm considering a used boat with this outboard motor. I've discovered the recall on the fuel tubes and the general concern with the FICHT technology. Can anyone shed any light in rather or not the 200s built in 1999 and 2000 have the same FICHT problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Park 2000- Read further up the string. You will see that the 2000 200HP's have the same problems. Although my buddy had the "fixes" done, and has had no problems, he is having a nightmare getting a low cost extended warranty. All the policy underwriters are charging huge $$$ because he has the FICHT.

TSLTW

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 1998 Johnson 150 FICHT. First year it performed wonderfully. Second year it had a series of FICHT-related problems. My dealer fixed each problem and upgraded as necessary. Engine runs like a dream again. If the modifications were made properly, you shouldn't have problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.