NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a truck and started by looking around this weekend. Would love to get some feedback on Blazer's, ********, 4runner, pathfinder, Cherooke etc...Like to get feedback on how it handles in the sand of south shore, rocks of montauk, cargo space in back and any little tips you could pass on ie....friend says the blazer after 4-5 years everything starts to rattle...or that on some trucks back seats dont fold all the way down but stop at a tilt......

Models not listed welcomed on how you like them....my perference is 1-2 year old truck, nice room in back for gear.....but not a monster that guzzles gas ie....durango....expedition...and wont fall apart after 4-5 years...

any thoughts...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Jeep Cherokee..........reliable,great in the sand and on the rocks. better on gas than the bigger trucks but definitly not a wimpy truck.
The straight six in this vehicle is a simple and easy engine to maintain.

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have a Grand Cherokee. I have had no problem on the South Shore Beaches, or on the rocks in Montauk. I use it as a family car most of the time. I put a ski rack on top, and with that, it converts real easily to a beach buggy. I have never come close to getting stuck. Just air down, and you are fine. I recommend the SelecTrac transmission as opposed to the on demand quadratrac. I like to know that I am in 4WD, and it is cheaper. Also, the spare tire is hidden in the back so there is plenty of room for gear. If you need more space,the rear seats fold down (they do go all the way down).

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt really like the cherokee in the past ......but after seeing a couple this weekend I really thought they look pretty good.....good combination between style,power and room....

thanks for the info anthony and bass....any others have thoughts on the others trucks or addtional info on the cherokee....

·
Registered
43 Posts
im a pathfinder man, i owned them since 1995, and there great!!im out in montauk and the south shore every weekend. never had a problem. plenty of room , im 6'3" and all my fishing buddys can fit with all the gear. the 2oo1 model has a mean 240hp v6 , if you can get your hands on a 95 model thats in good shape go for it!! it is a off road monster . if you got the cash go for a new one it wont let you down.

dont forget to set the hook!!!!

·
Registered
11,588 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a Jeep Cherokee.It is a 1990 with about 230,000 miles. It is great on the beaches in soft sand and good at Montauk. The ride isn't the greatest,but you have to sacrifice something for 4WD. The Grand Cherokees are a better ride. They are like any other car IF you take care of them. I work for a Jeep dealer so matbe I am slightly biased towards them. If anyone were to ask me about buying a car, new or used, I would recommend getting a service contract when you purchase it. I am the parts manager and some of the prices on parts are sickening. Good Luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try Leasing!I'm leasing a 2 door 2000 Blazer.The 2 door stands higher and a little wider than 4 door but a little tough if you have to let in back seat passengers.Rides great and handles sand with no problem.2 door also comes with bigger tires.I like the 3 year lease since you can decide to buy it if you still like it.Prices come out to the same if you buy at end of lease or purchased it new at the start.Gas mileage isn't bad on my 6 cyl. with plenty of pep.You may want to check out the new Trail Blazer.I believe it's a little bigger than Blazer.Cherokees seem a little more expensive and gas mileage not too economical,but they seem to be built stronger and a bit more powerful.GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flukinfool....has the blazer started to rattle, my friend has a 1996 and said it is just starting to rattle and sidepanels on front doors are falling off.....have you noticed anything like that....

Seems there are alot of cherokee fans......

Anyone like the ********s......I would of thought that there would of been alot of ******** fans out there...my friend swears by them.....you sure could fit alot in the back.....some of the other trucks I saw...when you open the back hatch it seems much smaller than you would think

by the way....anyone know why the site "xxxxxxxxxx" out my original message in the 3rd or 2nd line ....I think all it said was ********...thought it was kind of weird...anyone know why ?

I appreciate the feedback.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lenman, a truck with sixteen inch tires and good ground clearance will be a big plus in soft sand,and rocky areas.factory tow packages will also help,most come with heavy duty electrical and cooling systems.
good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are planning to take this vehicle on soft sanded beaches I would advise you to stay away from the Jeep products, although they are good performers, they have a very narrow wheel base, which essentially means they have to carve their own path, most of your other vehicles such as the Dodge, Chevy, and Ford trucks have a wider wheel base.

I don't want to offend any Jeep owners but these are the guys getting stuck out here...

Other than that all the vehicles are good, if maintained correctly. I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 and don't have any problems....

·
Registered
37 Posts
doca3, You gotta be kidding... The reason guys are getting stuck in on the beach is because the're not airing down. I've driven my 89' Jeep Cherokee on every south side beach,including Moriches, FINS and Montauk. I've never gotten stuck in the sand because I've carved my own path. I've seen most vehicles stuck, including lots of Chevy Silverado's, because these guys have the audacity to think that because they have so much power they don't have to air down. In the long run they do so much damage to their trucks and their trany's that they have to get a new truck every few years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Incognito,
Like I said I don't want to offend any Jeep owners, but the original post here was in regards to what 4x4s work well. In my 6-7 years of driving the beach up here I have seen many more Jeeps stuck than any other vehicles, it could well be the fact that they are yuppies who don't air down. But I would think after getting stuck once or twice they would learn their lesson. On the beach up here most of the vehicles are full size trucks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
There is no such thing as a 4x4 that is prone to getting stuck on the beach..........if you air down correctly they all do the job.
A jeep cherokee with tranny cooler is a fine beach vehicle.

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all
I have a 91 blazer s-10 sport, its probably the smallest blazer they ever made, but it is 4wd. My question is, when you air down the tires, what pressure do you go down to? I have p215 75r/15 tires and I do not want to get stuck. The surf fishing is great, but I would like to minimize the walk sometimes. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
You guy's are a riot. It's
fun reading. I'am only 50 yr's old and
have been on sand so soft you step out
of the truck and up to your back side
you go. We never had 4x4's just station
wagons & reg. cars [big tires]. You are
all RIGHT. Hard tires/ dumb people w/to
much money. The in thing SUV-look at me.
Lease a truck drive it through the
saltwater/ trade it in get another. GET a
truck that will suit YOUR needs and don't
hang onto it. An old poor sand flea -
F-250--460--4x4--you only live once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Capesams, I agree 100% with you. That's the problem with the SUV crowd, they watch the commercials of their trucks climbing mountains and think they can do it too, thus my yuppie SUV comment...The reason I like the big pickups for the beach are you can toss the fish in the bed of the truck, rods into the bed, all your gear into the bed, With a SUV unless you invest in the fancy cooler racks, and rod holders, all this crap goes inside. Besides I also like the feeling of having over 300hp and close to 400lbs of torque under my foot, just call me old fashioned,,,,LOL

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Two comments on the last two posts.
First off, I have had to pull out two or three blazers that were stuck in soft sand at Cedar Beach and Gilgo. On each occasion, the owners didn't air down, and when I asked them if they had aired down the response was "you mean I have to let air out of my tires?". Its not the SUVs that are the problem.
Secondly, I have an SUV because I have a family to drive around, for me it's either an SUV or a MiniVan. There are a lot of fishermen like me who also have a family to think about. Its not just because we saw a cool looking SUV on a TV commercial.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.