NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sportfishing Instruction

:)This Spring marks the middle of my 22nd consecutive year teaching the SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND classes. What started out for me as an ?OK, I?ll Try It Once? activity for the Shoreham-Wading River Adult Education Program (back in 1985) has evolved into an experience that went way beyond what I had originally expected. I discovered that teaching adults was fun and rewarding, especially since I?ve had such a passion for the subject matter since my very early childhood.

:)Eventually, the Suffolk County Department of Parks & Recreation decided that sportfishing instruction was something that more Long Islanders could benefit from. In 2002, the same year I retired from my day job, I started conducting the classes for the County at the H. Lee Dennison Building in Hauppauge. Fortunately, since I?ve had more time on my hands, I?ve been able to work harder and plan better than ever before. PowerPoint slide programs have replaced the outdated carousel slide projector approach. Models displaying a multi-assortment of rigs used for catching many of our local species were created for hands-on use by students. The list of guest speakers continues to grow. The weekly class handouts were improved and expanded. VHS tapes have been upgraded to DVDs. The number of class field trips has more than doubled. And more planning time has clearly resulted in increased class efficiency.

Here is the schedule for this upcoming semester:

Class # / Topic and/or Species To Be Discussed

1.) Introduction / Slide Show / Video (Feb. 26)
2.) Blackfish / Flounder (Mar. 11)
3.) Striped Bass / Bluefish (Mar. 18 )
4.) Fluke / Fishing in Alaska (Mar. 25)
5.) "Knot Nite" with Guest Instructors/ Q&A (Apr. 1 )
6.) Weakfish / Cod / Pollack (Apr. 8 )
7.) Tuna / Marlin (Apr. 15)
8.) Guest Speaker (Speaker to be announced) (Apr. 29)
9.) Shark / Other Offshore Species / Mackerel (May 6)
10.) Surf Fishing (Surf Guest) / Porgies / Putting it all together (May 13)

Below are the basic details you need to know if you are interested in improving your fishing skills:

Classes will be held on Tuesday nights from 7:30 ? 9:30 p.m., beginning Feb. 26, 2008 in the Media Room of the H. Lee Dennison Building on Vets? Hwy. in Hauppauge.

Registration is $125.00 per person.

Flexible make-up classes are also possible for those people who have conflicting schedules.

Field trips on well-known charter boats (such as the Nancy Ann IV and the Celtic Quest) are optional with an additional fee.

For more information or to obtain a registration form, please contact Suffolk County Parks Department at (631) 854-0903.

A nice array of guest speakers are currently being scheduled to help out and lend their expertise to the sessions.

Hope to see many of you on Feb. 26. - :) Capt. Jerry McGrath :)

Below are some photos from last year's activities.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still Time to Sign Up

Still not to late to register for the SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND classes starting this Tues. The flyer and registration form is below. If you are interested in signing up, print out a copy of the flyer, tear off the registration form and bring it filled out Tues. evening with a payment by check or cash.

At this point, enrollment is good, but not overwhelming. We have some new guest speakers lined up for this Spring session including Gil "The Aquaholic" from Moriches and Matt from Rocky Point Fishing Stop. And as in the past, Capt. Bob Rocchetta from Rainbow Charters in Orient will be featured for one full session in late April.

Over half of the field trips for '08 are already filled with SFLI alumni. This year we have added a new bass trip with Capt. Phil Kess from the Orient based charterboat Fishy Business. Phil is a nice guy and we should all have a great time.

:) Hope that many of you can sign up for this Spring semester. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knot Night / Spring '08

Last evening was Knot Night for the participants in the SPORTFISHING ON LONG ISLAND class. We were very fortumate to have 3 noreast.com regulars available for instructing students on how to tie various fishing knots. Our guests were the NE writer & soon-to-be surf guide Ken Legge (Legasea), surf editor and author (Season on the Edge - "A Real Winner", IMO) John Skinner, and fishing fanatic Capt. Gil Hubbs from the Aquaholic charterboat in Moriches. The knots that these gentlemen and I taught included the Palomar, Dropper Loop, Double Surgeon's, Improved Clinch, Snell and Perfection Loop. Afterwards, we heard from each guest about their particular involvements in the world of fishing. Also, a last minute participant, Capt. Barbara (One More Drift) from Luv2Fish Charters in Mt. Sinai made a welcomed appearance to our classes. Much thanks to the guests for helping make it a worthwhile experience.

As part of the SFLI program, there will be a Free & Open-to-the Public seminar held at the Dennison Bldg. in Hauppauge on April 29, 2008 @ 7:30 P.M. Capt. Bob Rocchetta will be our annual guest to present his always-lively presentation on the art of catching striped bass. His appearance should get many of us psyched & warmed up for catching our scaley friends in their striped suits. So come on down that night for an evening filled with fun and helpful instruction.

Also on hand that evening will be Gyotaku Artist Jack Schwartz. Jack works on Gyotaku ? The Japanese Art of Fish Printing
Taken from Jack's website (www.jaxsfishprints.com):
The Gyotaku artist works to create easily recognizable, full-scale translations of a fish, rather than precise replicas. Jaxs paintings capture the essential, individual elements of each subject. The final fish print is a result of the artist?s love of environment, attention to detail and his imaginative use of materials.
I love his work and because of that have invited Jack to display some of his creations. Capt. Jerry

Photos:
:) 1. Ken Legge (Writer/Soon-to-be Surf Guide - "Legasea" )
:) 2. John Skinner (Editor/Author - Season on the Edge)
:) 3. Capt. Gil Hubbs (Charterboat - Aquaholic)
:) 4. Capt. Bob Rocchetta (Rainbow Charters)
:) 5. Gyotaku creation (Big Eye Tuna) by Jack Schwartz

This post edited by schoolman 12:45 PM 04/02/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
THANKS CAPT. JERRY

Thank you very much for asking me to help with knot night. That class you teach is a very good tool for the new guys in our sport to learn some of the skills it took some of us years to learn.
I also like to show people some of the things it has taken me a lifetime to learn. :) I learn new things myself at allmost every event I go to.
And THANKS to Ken Legge and John Skinner for sharing some of there skills with us.

.....CAPT. GIL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cap't Jerry and fishing

Hi
I ran into Capt. Jerry at the Brentwood Library for one of his local presentations. I had attended his courses and local presentations in the past and they are always lively, upto date and very informative. He always brings out the fishing enthusiast in you and you want to get out as soon as possible and try out his techniques. It makes the winter months of cabin fever bearable. He informed me of this years seminars at the Dennisson Bldg. and invited be to attend the fisherman's dinner at the Cooeridge Inn. The dinner was excellent and the speaker was outstanding. I recommend that everyone should attend his courses at least once to learn about the local waters of Long Island and look foward to attending his classes in the future.
Dennis

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surf Fishing Tonight

This evening, we were treated to a visit from surf affectionado and avid rod buider, Matt Hetterick. When not scouting and fishing at the shorelines of Long Island beaches, Matt can be found behind the scenes at one of the area's longest existing B&T shops, the Rocky Point Fishing Stop. From the onset, it was obvious that Matt's knowledge of the surf is way beyond his years on the planet. Many of us, including me, gained much from his organized instruction, candid recommendations, and generously shared tips and techniques. Below are some photo moments from his appearance. Thanks for your fine efforts, Matt.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Few More Pics from Last Night

Last evening was the final class of the '08 Spring semester. It is now time for all of our participants, including me, to "Go Fishing".

FYI, Fall semester classes will commence on Tues., October 14th. Like always, we will be teaching numerous techniques and sharing many tips for catching many of the species of fish that are native to Long Island. Once again, we will be visited periodically by guest speakers, many of whom are among the finest anglers from our area.

It's not too early to sign up. You may do so by calling Tom Harkins at the office of the Suffolk Co. Dept. of Parks at (631) 854 - 0903.

Have a great fishing season, everyone!
;)

:) Capt. Jerry McGrath :)

This post edited by schoolman 01:38 AM 05/14/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sport fishing class with Capt. Jerry McGrath

Just finished the spring class wuth Capt. Jerry, it was Great. He is very informative and great to listen to. I highly recomend the class to all, we can always learn something valuable from other peoples expierences.
We just had a field trip on Friday afternoon, we fished on the Nancy Anne out of Orient with Capt. Rich, it was a great night we limited out at 16 fish and had good time, back at the dock by 9:00.

Tight Lines and Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great fishing

I have been fortunate enough to attend Jerry?s classes and have joined him numerous times at the rails. I strongly recommend both for beginners and advanced fisherman that ant to catch more fish.

Dave G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.