NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the largest blackfish on the North Shore are caught each year from the shore in the Spring when the large females come into the shallows to spawn. But what about in the fall? Right now there are blacks on many of the South Shore jetties. Anyone ever have luck fishing for blacks from shore on the Sound in the fall?

In another few weeks, the fish will be very agressive. We often do very well in 20+ feet of water out on the boat. However, since blacks migrate deeper/shallower as the water temps change, I have to wonder if there is ever a period of time in the Fall on the North Shore when the rocky beaches/points are just as productive as they are in the Spring.

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Doc,

I live on the North Shore on the East End, go fishing at the Decommisioned Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.

If you go there, get there during low tide, because when it is high you won't be able to get to the spot, nor leave from the spot so prepare for a long day.

The black's have been mid-sized, from 12-17". Most weighing 1-6lbs.

All I've been doing is standing on the little jetty they have, and throwing my line right into the middle of the jetty which is NO MORE than 15 feet wide and at high tide about 7-10 feet deep. The bottom is all broken up boulders with lots of cervices, so it does make it kinda difficult sometimes.

I have found that on some nights when it's colder out they have been coming in with the tide to shallower areas of the canal, while when it's warmer(55+) they seem to be more at the tip and out in the sound in 15-40ft of water.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Parking is interesting.

You go down a road with beach houses on it and all the way at the end there is this little dirt circle with a Grassy area in the middle.

By 10am it is usually pretty packed with about 12-15 cars which block the whole left side.

The reason they all park there is because at high tide the water flows almost all over the right side.

I usually park on the right side, but pull up as far as possible on this slight enbankment and usually my back tired are just rinsed with saltwater since the water doesn't get up there all the time.

There are signs that say parking by permit only, but to my knowledge there is no permit from Riverhead town to have, but I will tell you from experience that if you are there after 10pm on a Friday/Saturday, you will get a $25 ticket from the town police.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The permit that the signs refer to is the Riverhead Town Beach Parking Permit, which is available to Riverhead Town residents. It is unlikely that the police will ticket you there during daylight hours after Labor Day or before Memorial Day. A ticket is a very good possibility after dark without a permit since the police sometimes need to clear partying kids out of that lot. Be very careful crossing the creek if that's what you choose to do. A guy died there about 5 years ago when he lost his footing on the outside.

You may actually be better off hitting any rocky areas along the North Shore where you won't be constraind by tides. Blackfishing is indeed good from these beaches in the fall. If the other fish let you get away with it, sandworms often work well, and you might hit bass that way also. Be sure to bring along a few lures just in case a school of fish goes by.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.